Dakota Access Pipeline workers bulldozed sacred sites and graves in North Dakota on Sunday, and I found out today that one of those graves belonged to one of my relatives…
I’m not even from Standing Rock and they desecrated a grave of my family member, Charles Picotte (Eta-ke-cha). He isn’t just a long dead man people have forgotten about, this was the grave of a man whose face I know, who I have pictures of in family albums. A family member that lived through the transition to reservation life. I’m upset. I’m angry. I’m shocked right now because it hits home. He was a translator and one of the signers of the Treaty of Fort Laramie, a treaty that 3 of my relatives signed, a treaty they are breaking RIGHT NOW with this pipeline.
I’ve never set foot in Standing Rock, I don’t even know anyone from Standing Rock. But this has affected me all the way over here in Washington, and this is an attack on the rights of native peoples. People need to share what’s happening right now, how they’re desecrating these sacred sites, hiring paramilitary, unleashing dogs and tear gas on protesters defending the health and future of their community, plus their treaty rights, because the media is ignoring all of this. Sign the petition to stop it, send donations to the Sacred Stone camp, raise awareness. This is about the interests of a corporation being put before indigenous peoples rights and health.
Imagine Tina Goldstein having a huuuge crush on this famous senior back in her Ilvemorny days, but she was too shy to talk to him, he didnt even know who the hell she was. Tina kept it a secret for years, until, said senior in Ilvemorny happened to be her senior Auror at MACUSA and he, hulla, started hitting on her.
I was talking about this with a friend and it literally is logistically impossible for there to not have been a real Percival Graves, like the idea that a real Graves doesn’t exist or that Grindelwald just made up an identity is not only entirely impossible but also completely impractical
First of all, the Graves are a real family, a real prominent wizarding family that you don’t just suddenly make up a family member and they’ll accept you - that’s like saying someone just one day made up a new Black family member identity or another Weasley - it doesn’t work, you’re just waiting for attention to be drawn to you and questions to be asked
Secondly, Grindelwald isn’t just hiding as some random American auror, that’s the Director of Magical Security, that’s like pretty much the Vice President of the American wizarding world, there’s no way he just one day made a new identity and got the job - this is the kind of title that you literally gotta work your way up to - so unless Grindelwald has been just living in America and building this identity for the last few decades, it makes no sense he got this high up with a new identity in mere months
Third, Grindelwald would have to travel from continent to continent consistently then to even make this fake identity work. Because we know he was in Europe causing trouble. There’s no way he could both cause trouble in Europe and then appear day to day in America doing an actual real job unless the Americans were really just so stupid and blind and couldn’t even notice he wasn’t doing his job
I can buy into the belief that Grindelwald used a fancy transfiguration spell, I can even buy into the belief that Grindelwald did actually kill Graves before assuming his identity (however long it was), but I don’t buy that there isn’t a real Graves. Hell, even if I were to buy into the idea that Grindelwald took on the Percival Graves identity decades ago and he actually built him up to what he is now, it would still mean there was a real Percival Graves, a real life young Graves who maybe Grindelwald either killed or he just died of illness or something, and Grindelwald took over after his death
It makes no logical sense to say there isn’t an actual Percival Graves existing at some point
“I mean, sure, some of them didn’t want to do it, I guess, but more of them DID want to do it, in fact, too many, because all of them wanted to do it, and some even came out of retirement and back from the grave to do it, and all of them have always wanted to and will do it. So.”
Ever since I saw Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, I’ve been wondering what happened to the real Percival Graves, if he even existed.
TL;DR, I think Graves is alive, and in Europe.
Proofs, based on the canon and my guesses:
1. It is really hard to get a powerful job at MCUSA. Grindelwald is unlikely to spend the amount of time and/or magic to do it himself. That is why Graves must be a real person, which Grindelwald impersonated.
2. We know that shape-shifting spells are tricky. If a wizard uses them too much, his looks could change permanently. Also, in the Cursed Child we see the complications it may cause. That is why I think Polyjuice potion was used.
3. Polyjuice potion reqires pieces of DNA from the person being impersonated, and Grindelwald is hardly the reckless type. Even if he took a large supply of DNA from Graves, it would be stupid to kill him, in case of the plan going wrong. The real Graves must be alive somewhere, just in case.
4. When Tina first brings Newt to MCUSA, Graves and the others speak about the destruction caused by the Obscurus. Graves says something in the lines of “I was in Grindelwald’s wars in Europe. This is no wizard.” And none of the people acts like it’s weird. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?!?!!? IT MEANS THE REAL PERCIVAL GRAVES WAS IN EUROPE, PROBABLY ON A MISSION FROM MCUSA. Think about it, it’s perfect. It gives Grindelwald the perfect time to realise how important Graves is, to kidnap him, interrogate him and impersonate him. If Graves came back from the wars a little different, everyone will think it’s post-trauma and no one will suspect a thing. That would be the best place for this switch to happen smoothly.
5. Sneaking the real Graves to America must be really difficult. I’m sure there is some sort of border control, and besides, it means he must be hidden inside America somewhere, without anyone suspecting. Much more reasonable to think that Grindelwald left him somewhere in Europe.
6. As it happens, there is a facility in Europe that is specially designed to guard Grindelwald’s opponents. We know this because in the books, that is where Dumbledore ends up locking him. I don’t know what about you, but it sounds to me like the best place to keep an alive-but-imprisoned Percival Graves while traveling to America with his face. It would allow Grindelwald to come back and interrogate him, or take more of his DNA, or even use him as a political prisoner, without risking a thing. And it is very logical that the switch between the two happened in Europe.
Hope you enjoyed my theory, will be happy to hear what you all think!
Even from beyond the grave, Moriarty outsmarts Eurus. He records a message about “Holmes killing Holmes” which she thinks is about Sherlock’s decision to shoot his brother over John – in fact Moriarty realises he would turn the gun on himself.
♦ Graves has many ways of showing you affection, and they can be either really, really cute or horrible annoying.
♦ If Graves wants to show you affection, that he loves and cares about you then he either spoils you with gifts or he wraps himself around you and cuddles you.
♦ If he spoils you then it‘s often just something nice and cheap like sweets or flowers but he also buys you super expensive clothes and even jewelry from time to time.
♦ Graves can be really clingy when he has a hard time at work and then he just grabs you from behind and carries you to the sofa or your bed to relax with you. He will totally complain and whine if you‘re too busy or not in the mood for cuddles.
♦ If Graves wants your attention and your love but you don‘t have time for him or if you just don‘t want to give him attention at the moment then he turns into a giant angry cat. He causes mischief until you pay attention to him. „Y/N ? The kitchen is on fire.“ „The kitchen is WHAT !?“ „On fire. It‘s burning. Check it out, I guess you have to spend time with me now while killing the flames.“
♦ Graves will not only show you his love with gifts or body contact, he also shows you his love through little favors. If he knows that you like cars, then he‘ll get you magazines and cut out articles about cars or whatever you like from the newspaper.
♦ Graves is super petty when it comes to his beloved magical rules but he breaks them regularly when he brings you to work. You can linger around the MACUSA building and take part in trials while he works on his own stuff.