In the Utopian Au™ where Connor failed his suicide attempt…
•Zoe rejects Evan and they just become friends
•Zoe formally introduces Connor to Evan (after the cast signing)
• Connor: Gayer Than He Expected™
•Everyone knows. Everyone but Evan, that is.
•If I Could Tell Him
•Connor won’t shut up about Evan.
•Even Heidi can see this. Connor comes over and the two teens are watching movies and Heidi walks in, looks at Connor trying not to look at Evan and mentally “Oh”
•Zoe: Connor please stop being gay at the dinner table
•Connor desperately tries to be an edgy, emo bad boy but he’ll melt if Evan smiles at him
•EVAN IS SO OBLIVIOUS TO ALL OF THIS.
•I want these teens to become friends.
•Heidi thinks Evan knows.
•Heidi refers to Connor’s crush on him casually.
•Evan: *spits out drink*
•Evan: Bisexualer Than He Expected™
Chris Evans photographed by Mark Segal for Esquire, April 2017
In my own life, I have a deep connection with my family and the value of those bonds. I’ve always loved stories about people who put their families before themselves. It’s such a noble endeavor. You can’t choose your family, as opposed to friends. Especially in L.A. You really get to see how friendships are put to the test; it stirs everyone’s egos. But if something goes south with a friend, you have the option to say we’re not friends anymore. Your family—that’s your family. Trying to make that system work and trying to make it not just functional but actually enjoyable is a really challenging endeavor, and that’s certainly how it is with my family.
So, I saw Dear Evan Hansen, and I think I must inform all of you about somethings (part three):
• In Disappear, Connor’s ghost gets realll close to Evan and sounds desperate for Evan’s help.
• Alana, somewhere in there, sings her own tiny reprise of Waving Through A Window and it’s beautiful.
• In You Will Be Found, it shows Connor’s baby pictures and pictures of Connor before he grew out his hair. Turns out, it’s ALL of Mike Faist’s actual pictures. Some of them are recognizably from when he did Newsies!
• Zoe, before To Break In A Glove, warns Evan about the incoming Dad Talk that Larry is gonna give Evan. To which Larry responds, “women, right?” and no one in the theater looked happy with that comment.
• Evan’s voice cracks a LOT during the show and he looks down a lot too.
• Ben Platt does this really cute thing where he lifts his leg, squeezes his fingers together, and closes his eyes when he hits a high note.
• Only Us is in Evan’s room.
• Evan wears ONLY blue the whole show, but he wears tons of different shirts.
• Everyone changes clothes a LOT. Especially Jared. And Zoe is Very Fashionable.
• In Good For You, Jared and Alana stay close as if to protect each other, like Evan is some kind of monster.
• Before Words Fail, Connor’s ghost goes, “listen, you can get rid of me whenever you want, but do you think you’re suddenly going to go out there and tell everyone the truth? You can’t even tell yourself the truth. How did you break your arm, Evan?” Evan doesn’t respond. “How did you break your…” Evan cuts him off and goes, “I fell out of a tree! I slipped off!” To which Connor says, “Did you fall? Or did you let go.”
• After that, there’s a *deafening* silence, then a shattering lightbulb sound and Evan runs away.