I wanted to just noodle around and paint some. First it was a spaceship, then it was going to be a mech, now it’s some kind of beefy ground attack plane getting torn in half by a carrier fighter’s cannons.
This is the illustration that I created for the “Process” show, hosted by the Unit E gallery on Santa Fe in Denver for the month of May and opening on the 3rd. It depicts a scene out of Alexa’s story, where she is traveling with an Anchortop Motor Cavalry company. After years of being displaced from her home, she is finally on her way back to the mountain foothills of Calur’s northern borders, eager to find the man responsible for the razing of her home town and to help push the Confederates out of the Vanaen capital of Pevlidhe.
In this scene, the Anchortop tanks arrive at a sacked Reiden village, raided just days ago. The lead tank’s driver, Vashili, comforts Alexa before they move on, too late to help.
Total time was approximately 44 hours total; this includes taken to model the tank, doing a bunch of comps, a bit of logo design, and some other things here and there that aren’t shown in this page.
The Arimarda was the most successful tank design produced by the Rossentian Empire. Early models such as the Ard. I and II were fielded in the early c.330s, but the Ard. III was the most prolific. First deployed in c.337, it fought alongside the FFV5509 Emperor in colonial armor units and served to compliment the much heavier Emperor. While the Emperor was shortly outclassed by other designs, the Arimarda proved a suitable platform for upgrades that kept it in the field for many years.
It was considered to be on relatively equal footing against the Koshyan Type-43, though the two would often leap-frog each other in the arms race of the 30s and 40s.
Pictured is the later Ard. III-L variant, used in the late c.340s. This model featured thicker armor, a new torsion-bar suspension design with interlocking road wheels, wider tracks, and a long-barreled 7.5cm cannon, among several other minor changes. The III-L represents the last major revision of the design that saw widespread use, though a subsequent model M variant was also designed and produced in small numbers; featuring further improvements to the suspension and drive-train. The III-M was never exported to Mhad Su Tarre, however, and was thus confined to Starys Mundus.
Though a dated design by modern standards, it is still in use by several smaller armies, especially in Calur, where it is often turned against the colonies it once defended.
Another side project I’ve been pecking away at lately. Decided to push the details on this one a bit further than my previous models (mostly in amount of stuff), the results of which I’m fairly satisfied with. The main area I’ve yet to make a lot of headway in is in detailing the tracks. Maybe next time, eh?
Though originally developed for the Dauben military, the M8A1 Baron is perhaps best known for its service with the Caluran Confederate Army in the past twenty years. It is a rugged and reliable design, and has been adapted into a variety of offshoot designs, such as the M202 self-propelled anti-aircraft weapon and M150 Combat Engineer Tank.
Finished off a drawing I started last year, now that I’ve had some time to model the tracks in sketchup for reference.
Updated design of what I was originally referring to as the “Type-34”. Takes inspiration from the Russian T-34 and American M551 Sheridan.
Been wanting to spend some time on this one for awhile now. Don’t really have time to flesh it out as much as I would like (wanted to draw up a ton of the variant vehicles), but decided to throw down some basic colors and post the basic two models.
Spent some time today updating the political map of Mhad Su Tarre to be more accurate to the specific year, along with filling out major states/divisions and the smaller nations which weren’t defined on the old version.
This illustration started with several rough sketches and studies from old WWII photographs of tanks in action, primarily photos of heavy tanks such as the Soviet KV-½ and German Tiger. As I began to get a good idea of what kind of image I wanted to create, I looked over some pages of thumbnailed tank designs I had in my sketchbook and picked one out to use as a base. I wanted to use a design that evoked the feel of classic WWII heavy tanks; a very imposing, high-profile, and rectilinear design.
After developing some orthographic drawings, I used Milkshape3d (a very bare-bones modeling program) to quickly create a reference model of the tank using the orthographic views to line the model up. Once I was satisfied with the result, I imported this model into Daz3d to pose and render the tank, planning to use Daz’s character posing functionality to provide some reference for characters in the illustration.
I played around with the scene a fair bit in Daz3d, initially using three of the Emperor tanks and many characters in one “battle” scene. As the piece needed to be completed for my grad show, I decided to resort to a simplified composition with one Emperor tank. Using the final lit render as reference, I developed a final sketch of the composition, which was designed as a two-page spread. Again due to the tight time constraints imposed by organizing my graduation from RMCAD, I cut back my work load once more and decided to focus on the tank itself—though I left the full composition open to completion at a later date once I have more time. Once I had the final sketch and render to draw upon, I painted over the scene using Photoshop.
Hope to find the time soon to complete the full composition, but I’m happy with the stage I got it to considering the time constraints I was dealing with from graduating.