has it been long enough that it’s ok to talk about the new adventure zone episode? i hope so ‘cause i’m gonna talk theories for a bit. things are a bit up in the air for now but here’s what the fuck i think is going on (spoiler warning):
- the boys are liches. all three of ‘em. that’s why kravitz was baffled by their apparent death count, and that’s why kravitz sensed a lich during his date with taako. he asked taako if there was any possibility he was possessed by some sort of dark spirit - technically, that’s exactly true. taako is a dark spirit, possessing the body of his own clone.
- the boys are red robes. they’re from a plane that was destroyed by the Hunger, and they’ve been going through loops, inhabiting cloned bodies, trying to stop the Hunger for good. we know they’ve failed at least twice, but the hundred-or-so deaths the boys’ve racked up between them suggests more.
- the boys have a baffling resistance to the relics’ thrall. the thrall almost made carey, a much more competent person, betray the bureau and destroy the world, before someone snapped her out of it. and carey never even touched the relic.
- so why are the boys so resistant? because they’re the ones who created the relics in the first place. lucretia’s said that the red robes made the relics, and magnus just remembered that he created the temporal chalice, eventually entrusting it to jack and june.
- the boys are all red robes, on an eternal quest that they can’t remember, because some unknown party destroyed all the relevant information. barry is the only one who can remember because he was the first to die, and once he wasn’t alive anymore, he could remember the information that’d been erased. (hence the prophecy: “you will find the power that you seek from the man wreathed in flames.”)
this could all get joss’d two weeks from now, but… holy shit if i’m right this is so cool. there are still some holes - who erased the information, and why? why did lucretia say she’d had run-ins with the red robes, and that they were all evil? - but. this makes a lot of sense