evolving soulmate tattoo AU
A world with soulmate tattoos that
evolve based on your actions, affecting your compatibility with your soulmate.
When you do something that makes you at odds with your soulmate, the tattoo becomes fainter – do it too often and the mark might fade entirely and change into something (someone) else. When you do something that makes you more compatible with your soulmate, the mark becomes bolder and darker, more permanent.
• You’re a low-level thug from one of the most notorious drug cartels. You do your best to quit and live a more honest life when you discover that your soulmate is that sweet, kind florist from the next block. Imagine your horror when your mark becomes fainter with each good deed you do, disappearing entirely when you manage to free yourself from the cartel, albeit in exchange for grave injuries. Imagine your horror when the boss himself hunts you down and executes you – because there’s no such thing as quitting in your group. Imagine your horror when you discover that the boss and the florist are the same person.
• You’re an undercover cop who hasn’t met your soulmate yet. You’re fine with not meeting them ever, you’re content with your life. Imagine your horror when you realize that your soulmate is your next target – a young CEO suspected of every possible crime under the same, brandishing his company as the front for some illegal mobster operations. Imagine your horror when your tattoo becomes bolder, darker, with each report to the higher-ups, with each evidence you find against your soulmate. Imagine your horror when the tattoo starts to burn with permanence the moment you arrest your soulmate.
• You’re one of the lucky ones – you grew up with your soulmate. You’re one of the unlucky ones – your soulmate is your brother.
• You’re one of the rare, chosen ones – your tattoo has been burned in permanence for as long you can remember. You’re lucky, they all say, because no matter what you do, your soulmate is yours for life. You spend years waiting for your mate – over each unlucky thing that befalls you, the loss of your family, your failure to complete your education due to poverty. You spend years more cursing the supposedly-lucky tattoo that seems to attract all the misfortune your way. You’re past your prime with aching joints and brittle bones. Your heart stops one day and you never meet your soulmate.
• You embrace your soulmate with joy – and within your first touch, both of your tattoos burn with permanence. You two are the envy of every person you meet. Your mate proposes that you test the limits of your bond. It starts slow – insulting your mate’s closest friends. It soon escalates and soon, your mate is setting fire to your parents’ retirement home and your tattoos remain vivid and solid.
• You grow up with your soulmate – they’re your neighbor, classmate, best friend. Both of your tattoos don’t change – doesn’t become faint even when you drunkenly make out with your soulmate’s best friend, doesn’t become more vivid when you propose marriage. You’re married for ten years – and as you prepare breakfast in bed to surprise them for your tenth anniversary, you realize that the tattoo on your hand is suddenly gone without trace.
• Your tattoo changes every day. Everyone who
sees it – and it’s right on your forehead, like some kind of homing signal –
thinks you’re either an unstable freak or some kind of slut. You find someone
who befriends you and is kind to you and moves in with you and loves you
despite society thinking that you don’t deserve them. Your tattoo continues to
change every day.
• Imagine Chuuya’s tattoo growing darker and more vivid each time Dazai fucks his life over, while Dazai’s remain faint the entire time.
• Imagine Judar and Hakuryuu having matching permanent tattoos – but Hakuryuu is in denial so he tries to push Judar away. The tattoo remains permanent.
• Imagine Akutagawa being horrified at how each and every one of his attempts to be mean to Atsushi only makes their matching tattoos more permanent.
• Imagine Yuuri being torn between worry and contentment that Victor’s tattoo remains shimmery-faint. Because on one hand, why are their tattoos faint?! On another hand, at least the tattoo matches Victor’s nice skin…
• Imagine Katsuki and Midoriya having matching permanent tattoos since they’ve met each other. Katsuki enjoys how even as he bullies his Deku, the tattoo proclaim them as the best possible match…
• Imagine Will being SO DONE because no matter what he does – try to kill Hannibal, try to flirt with Hannibal, walking his dogs, giving out lectures – his tattoo only becomes darker each time.
• Imagine your OTP :D