Enterprise Risk, Environmental & Emergency Management
Closes: Open Until Filled
Closes: Open until filled; priority review date December 1, 2011
The Risk Manager for the University of Oregon reports to the Executive Director of Enterprise Risk, Environmental and Emergency Management. The position is a full-time, 12-month, Officer of Administration position with a fixed term appointment subject to renewal. The Risk Manager manages and leads University Risk Management initiatives, including risk financing, risk transfer and loss control efforts through an enterprise risk management model. These activities occur in a highly decentralized environment and a comprehensive risk management program will require collaborating with many campus partners. The Director supervises two staff members.
- Plans, coordinates and assists in the administration of a broad, comprehensive insurance program involving the purchase of commercial insurance or administering any self-insurance funds/pools for exposures such as but not limited to property, liability, student athlete, student health, special events, study abroad and workers’ compensation.
- Assess and ensure adequate and appropriate risk financing to meet the needs of a large, complex organization.
- Works with campus partners and leadership on developing and leading Enterprise Risk Management.
- Work with campus leaders to develop and implement risk cost allocation strategies.
- Leads collaborative campus wide effort to develop and implement an enterprise risk management program.
- Consults with various UO departments on risk assessment, risk mitigation and loss control methods and programs.
- Consult on risks associated with the numerous large events held on UO campus including assessing insurance needs.
- Collaborates with campus and external parties to assess risk exposure and management of those exposures. Makes recommendations on minimization.
- Manage risk management staff to support their work and efforts in the areas of risk assessment, mitigation and claims management.
- Works as part of management team for overall campus risk, safety and hazard mitigation.
- Describe your experience in assessing and ensuring appropriate risk financing is in place in a complex organization.
- Please describe a situation where you identified and resolved an issue involving others outside your normal reporting lines.
- What strategies would you consider in promoting a comprehensive risk management program in a highly decentralized organization?
- Describe your experience in framing risk issues in writing (e.g. briefs, position papers, findings, etc.) for executives, leadership and policy makers.
The University of Oregon (UO) is a comprehensive research university with an enrollment of over 24,000 students. Located two hours south of Portland, Eugene is a thriving metropolitan city noted for its dynamic quality of life and progressive cultural environment and is sited an hour’s drive from both the Pacific coast beaches and the Cascade mountain range. The University is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) and of the Pac-12 athletic conference. Visit the University of Oregon’s website at: http://uoregon.edu. Learn about the region’s natural and cultural resources athttp://travellanecounty.org/.
COMPENSATION/TYPE OF APPOINTMENT:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is a full time, twelve month, fixed term, renewable appointment as an Officer of Administration (OA). Generous benefits package, including comprehensive health, vision and dental insurance coverage, retirement plans, tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, and paid leave policies.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in risk management, or other relevant professional experience which includes a minimum of 2 years supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of traditional risk management principles and practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and management ability in a complex, multiple facility organization.
- Proven success developing staff, with the ability to manage a diverse work force.
- Thorough understanding of Enterprise Risk Management concepts and program development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of insurance coverage options, industry standards, current trends and their application to a large university.
- Demonstrated high commitment to customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher education institution.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced academic degree.
- Experience working in higher education risk management.
- Professional certification such as an Associate in Risk Management or CPCU.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze business and insurance transactions.
Diversity: Demonstrates commitment to the university’s affirmative action and equal opportunity goals and plans and provides leadership at the department level and within the university as a whole on all aspects of the university’s diversity plan.
Ethics: Leads by example and maintains the highest ethical standards within the department and within the university.
An Equal-Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution Committed to Cultural Diversity and Compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit a cover letter clearly describing how you have developed and demonstrated the requirements for this position; a resume; a Human Resources Job Application Form (https://hr.uoregon.edu/webapp/index.php) and a list of three professional references. For full consideration, applications must be received by December 1, 2011; position will remain open until filled. Position is subject to a criminal background check.
Mail: Human Resources, 5210 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-5210.
Hand deliver during business hours: Human Resources, 677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400.
- Email: Send email to Cindy Brock, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to add “Job posting Risk Manager” to the subject line of the email.
- Fax: 541-346-2548
This announcement is available in alternate formats upon request. If you are a qualified applicant with a disability and need accommodation with the application or interview process, please call 541-346-3159.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.