Mon-El v Lena, Maggie and Lillian
So, TV Line has elected Mon-El from Supergirl as the Best New Character on an established drama series in 2016. I do not have anything against Mon-El and I do believe that he can become a very interesting character on the second part of Supergirl’s current season. However, the decision to elect a best new character cannot be based on the potential said character has for the future, but on what he has done so far. So, let’s take a look at Mon-El and three other new character on Supergirl, shall we?
- Was found in a Kryptonian Pod and ran from the DEO as soon as he woke up.
- Attacked a man in order to force him to send a message to Daxam
- He got judged wrongly by Kara for being from Daxam, but didn’t really do much to change her view of him in the beginning
- Did not want to take a job or try to learn how to be human to fit in
- Acted like a party boy at CatCo. He gave all his work to Eve, used her credit card and fucked her in a supply room
- He did not want to take any responsibility even for himself
- He helped The Guardian fight the Parasite
- He invited himself to L-Corp’s party (rude)
- He clearly lied about who he really is and what really happened in Daxam before he got in the Pod
- He only tried to be better after Kara talked to him constantly about this
Conclusion: he did not do anything really important and, except for the fact that he seems to be keeping a secret about whom he really is, he has no more depth of character.
Now, let’s see other three new characters on Supergirl’s second season:
- Carries the surname Luthor which automatically makes everyone distrusts her.
- Was unjustly accused of being behind the Venture explosion just because of the name Luthor and was proved innocent when Superman and Supergirl realized she was the target of the attack
- Renamed her company in order to distance it from the evil image created by her brother, even though she knew that Lex had people trying to kill her for him because of this
- She did not hesitate to kill the man who was trying to kill her and save Alex
- Helped Supergirl with useful information that could land her in the bad side of some very powerful people by giving the address to the alien fight club.
- She didn’t shy away from the threat of a gang using alien weaponry given to them by Cadmus and devised a way to destroy them, setting a trap for the gang and eliminating the problem almost single-handedly.
- When presented with the possibility that her mother was the leader of Cadmus she didn’t ignore Supergirl’s words, instead she confronted her mother and, finding out that it was true, she set a trap to her mother avoiding the genocide of all aliens in National City and sending her own mother to prison.
Conclusion: Lena is a bad-ass woman with incredible talent not only for business, but also technology. She has a good heart and is trying to prove that although her surname is Luthor she does not share the hate and madness that runs in the family.
Okay, another new character.
- She is a detective for NCPD who gives Alex, a DEO agent, a little lesson on not contaminating crime scenes in her very first appearance
- She figures out the place the alien suspected of trying to kill the US President was and got there before the DEO could, even though she has none of the DEO’s technology at her disposal
- She has a great source of information with the aliens in the alien bar and they trust her
- She helps Alex and the DEO find and end the alien fight club
- She is openly gay and does not give a shit about what people think of her
- She is extremely understanding and patient with Alex when she comes out to her and tries to help the best she can
- She does not shy away from action even when it means getting shot by an alien
- She gets the girl, gets shot and yet, doesn’t die
Conclusion: Maggie is a self-assured, strong woman who is not afraid of danger and is constantly throwing herself in the line of fire in order to do her job well, but she also has a soft side and can be a friend and lend a hearing ear when necessary.
And last, but not least:
- She is a mother that is trying to make the world a better and safer place for her children, however misguided her ideas might be
- She is the leader of an organization that escaped detection even from the DEO for a long time
- She managed to kidnap Supergirl and actually make her temporarily powerless so she could hurt her and get her blood to access the Fortress of Solitude
- She managed to get her hands on the Medusa virus and would have killed all aliens in National City if Lena had not interfered
Conclusion: She may be a force of evil, but she is a powerful and complex woman with strong arguments in favor of her anti-alien actions even if we cannot agree with her.
So why did Mon-El win the title of best new character? Easy, because he is the white heterosexual male who gets to kiss the girl. TV Line’s decision to elect him the best new character undermines the amazing work that has been done so far by Supergirl. This show is about strong women who are not afraid to be themselves, work hard and succeed on their own terms. And yet, TV Line seems to believe that a playboy was the best new character the show had to offer on its second season. Shame on you TV Line.