For anyone playing Pokemon Gold/Silver in the 3DS Virtual Console
There’s a way you can get more than one starter without trading. But you have to follow the rules very carefully. And if you don’t know what you’re going to do, this is a cloning glitch.
1. When you first start the game, head to the lab and talk to Professor Elm. After he finishes talking, you get the option of choosing a starter. However, you HAVE to save before choosing one as this is very important. This is the only part where you have to save until step 10 or 13.
2. After choosing the starter, don’t save at all. Because if you do, you’ll mess up and have to make a new save file.
3. Head to Mr. Pokemon’s place and then talk to him and Professor Oak. After that, try to go back to New Bark Town and battle your rival.
4. After you head back to New Bark Town and talk to the police officer, talk to Professor Elm. When you leave the lab, the lab assistant gives you Poke Balls. This is important as it’ll help you get another starter.
5. Catch a Pokemon in whatever route, and head to Cherrygrove City.
In the PC box, deposit your starter. Then switch the boxes.
6. This’ll give you an option to save, and if you haven’t saved ever since step 1, then you’re on the right track.
7. When you choose to save the game, wait until the dialogue spells out this and then quickly exit out of the game before it completely saves the game.
8. Then reopen the game to the file where you have to choose a starter Pokemon. Choose the next starter, and then head out to Cherrygrove City.
9. Go to the PC box and see the starter that you tried to clone.
10. If you did this correctly, then you’re on the right track! If you want to have just two starters, then don’t do the future steps. If you want to get all three, then don’t save the game.
11. Repeat steps 3-6, but this time, store two of your starters, and when this dialogue appears, soft reset or close the game before it saves.
12. Get your last starter and then head to the PC at Cherrygrove.
13. You should see your other two starters in the PC box, meaning you did all the steps correctly.