Spontaneous symmetry breaking
- A good way to get an idea of what this is like is through water. Water has four different forms it could take depending on the conditions; frost, snow, ice and rime. Spontaneous symmetry breaking is sort of like this.
- At the start of the big bang there was a single force which started off hot and as it expanded began to cool and in 1x10-46s (supposed to be scientific notation) gravity came into existence.
- Now there is gravity and the force energy of the universe. This force energy then split into the strong nuclear force (SNF) at about 1x10-36s.
- Then shorty after the massive inflation at 1x10-22s (where the universe expanded from about the size of a proton to that of a orange), the weak nuclear force and electromagnetic force (or electroweak force as we now know that they are the same) came into existence at the same time at 1x10-12s.
- So from one force, in 1x10-12s all the different forces have fallen out.
- In about 1x10-6 quark confinement would happen, from 3-20 minutes the nuclei would begin to form, there is still too much energy for the electrons to be bound to the nuclei. Atoms would not form for about 380,000 years.
Well this has been a brief and simple intro to spontaneous symmetry breaking, hope you guys liked it.