Mini Tutorial: Backlighting
PROGRAM: Adobe After Effects CC
OBS: There are several ways to achieve this effect; this is simply the way I prefer to do it.
1. First I chose a clip that you want to add backlighting to.
2. Next step: Mask the character. I used 2 different masking methods here: First I removed the sky with the help of several “Color Keys”. This way I don´t loose the small details of in the hair.
But this effect erased the white color in Ariel´s face, so I had to duplicate the clip and this time mask only her face (with “Roto Brush”). When I am done masking I render the clip with Alpha Channels, so that I am working with only 1 layer.
3. Background time: I decided to go with the same background as in the original, but made a few changes: ”Glow”, “Gaussian Blur” and “Gamma/Pedestal/Gain”.
4. RED LAYER: Background. YELLOW LAYER: Masker Ariel.
5. I then duplicated the masked Ariel, turned the layer all black with “Levels”. GREEN LAYER: Shadow
6. The I masked the shadow layer with the “Roto Brush” (really simple; just draw over everything) and then heavily adjusted the settings until it looked like shadow.
7. Changed the layers “Opacity” to 50% to make it see-through.
8. Added some adjustments to wrap it all up: “”Curves” and “Remove Grain”.
OTHER MINI TUTORIALS: