I think i have quiet bpd & was wondering if I could still have it although I don't dissociate?
According to the DSM, bpd is diagnosed when there is a persistent pattern of unstable interpersonal relationships, mood and self-image, as well as distinct impulsive behaviour, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts. These difficulties are indicated by five (or more) of the following:
- frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships
characterised by alternating between extremes of idealization and
- identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g.
spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). This
does not include suicidal or self-harming behaviour.
- recurrent suicidal behaviour, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behaviour.
- affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood - intense feelings that can last from a few hours to a few days.
- chronic feelings of emptiness.
- inappropriate intense anger or difficulty controlling anger.
- transient, stress-related paranoid ideas or severe dissociative symptoms.
I don’t think it matters which symptoms you have, but according to professionals, you must have at least five of the above symptoms.