I got mine done 6 weeks ago on Sunday so I thought I would throw some tips out there for people because I always see people asking in that tag.
1. Does it hurt to get done? No, not at all. I barely felt it, it felt a little tight while they put the bar in but the actual piercing was a 3 out of 10.
2. What’s the proper way to clean it? I soaked it for 10 minutes every day for the first 4 weeks. I never slacked once. Now i have purchased the h2Ocean spray. I use that all the time but I still soak it at least 2-3 times a week. Qtips are your friends. Also, do soak it. Please. The spray doesn’t always clean everything.
3. The worst time was about 2 weeks after. It got infected and throbbed for a day but I repeat, soaking clears it right up.
4. I did dye my hair for the first time last week. My stylist kept hitting it, that hurt. It’s fine but soak it after. I’ll keep telling you to soak it cause it works.
5. It hurts like a mother fucking bitch when you bang it. Six weeks later and it still hurts. Like holy fuck. I never remember it’s there until I stupidly tuck my hair behind my ear.
6. How long before you can sleep on your side? I started to now, six weeks later. I have a really soft pillow though and I think that’s key. The softer the better.
7. The bar slides. I panicked because it slid down and the piercer gave me a long bar to allow for swelling. Well I panicked because what if I hit it and it swells? There’s no room. Doesn’t matter, the minute it drops means it’s healing. I haven’t had issues with it touching my ear at all. Just SOAK IT IF IT GETS INFECTED.
8. Also tea tree oil works well to get rid of infections. I’ve only had to use it once. Don’t use it on a regular basis.
9. If you have always wondered about getting it done but are scared of taking care of it, just get it done. The cleaning isn’t so bad, trust me. You get used to it awful quick and it looks cute as fck.
If anyone else has any other questions just let me know.
*** I use a pretty simple soak mixture: 1 cup water and ¼ tsp non iodized salt (kosher works). I boil the water, add the salt, wait for it to cool, stir it up and soak it. I use a measuring cup and lay on the floor…. It’s worked the best for me with minimal spillage.
I took this photo so I could take a better look at my skin (since it’s kinda hard to look at your cheek in a mirror for a long time lol), and even though my face is all red and blotchy with eczema, I actually quite like this photo (?) for some reason.
No flattering lighting or angles or anything. It’s just me c:
Tips for people with piercings (I’ve got 7); If your piercing ever goes gross or crusty and it becomes unbearably painful to twist (like my nose ring this morning) to the point where your eyes water then crush a little over-the-counter painkillers/headache pills into a small amount of boiling hot water, add a couple teaspoons of salt to be extra sterile (wait for it to cool), and then gently clean the piercing with cotton dipped in the solution. In a few minutes the pain killers should stop the pain all together so you have time to clean it fully and comfortably.