Fuckton of OC questions: Dzamie
1. What’s their full name? Why was that chosen? Does it mean anything?
Dzamie Deshulian. Dzamie is one of my common pseudonyms (linguistics joke I stole from a family member), and Deshulian… in-universe, he chose that name from a Chinese word for “skill” and the French "de.” It is almost certainly pronounced wrong, but it’s his name now.
2. Do they have any titles? How did they get them?
Holy fuck does he have titles. Well, descriptors mostly, though he does carry the moniker of Blue Bandit from his attempts at being a phantom thief, Lord of the Yellow Hive from Equestria shenanigans, and some places call him the Reaper due to his high body count nearby (he decided to get a scythe when he heard that, though he didn’t practice using it much for a long time). Title-wise, he’s described himself as a spellsword, archmage, weaponsmaster, assassin, illusionist, and complete fucking nerd.
He self-describably “moonlights as a Lesser Spirit of Chaos.”
3. Did they have a good childhood? What are fond memories they have of it? What’s a bad memory?
Oh man his childhood is tragic as fuck. Birthplace village burned down, his parents presumably killed or captured, and essentially left with his half-brother (HM) to fend for themselves. Managed to find their way to a really helpful… institution, for lack of a better word. Except it’s a place dedicated to teaching people how to kill dragons. HM happens to be a dragon. Dzamie went anyway, and HM sort of let dragon instincts help him survive, with help from Dzamie. Dzamie was at some point convinced to inflict an ambiguously-large amount of torture on a bunch of dragons, at first because… well, dragonslayer school at the time was fucked up, and later because science.
And then people kept trying to kill him, but that’s just… that just keeps happening; it’s not a childhood thing.
4. What is their relationship with their parents? What’s a good and bad memory with them? Did they know both parents?
No strong memories. His father died in the fire or shortly after, and his mother is
in hiding to keep herself alive definitely dead. No need to look for her.
5. Do they have any siblings? What’s their names? What is their relationship with them? Has their relationship changed since they were kids to adults?
H.M. Deshulian is his half-brother (genetics are weird when dragons are involved). They’ve always had a pretty good relationship, though strangely tempered with a mutual feeling of “I don’t want it to happen for a really, really long time, but I’m pretty sure he’ll be the direct cause of my death.”
Dzamie is HM’s favorite food, and HM is the reason Dzamie decided to increase his acid resistance to a ridiculous level.
6. What were they like at school? Did they enjoy it? Did they finish? What level of higher education did they reach? What subjects did they enjoy? Which did they hate?
Dzamie was wonderful at the technical stuff, but completely refused the “dragons are evil”-type rhetoric, so he just barely got by, eventually graduating bottom of his class (though the dragonslaying done as the graduation test was definitely the most efficient and least risky of the lot). He’s taken a few college courses here and there, but all after timelines start getting weird around him, so it’s hard to tell when or how many. He enjoys applied math
7. Did they have lots of friends as a child? Did they keep any of their childhood friends into adulthood?
He was completely study-driven, with HM being his only friend - though, it didn’t help that most kids he could’ve been friends with would’ve wanted to kill HM on sight. Interestingly, Kenny was in his year, though they never really liked each other much.
8. Did they have pets as a child? Do they have pets as an adult? Do they like animals?
Well, he has HM No pets to speak of. Closest there is is Smugleaf, a Serperior who occasionally lets him have her Pokeball and direct her in combat. He loves birdwatching, snakes, and a bunch of other animals.
9. Do animals like them? Do they get on well with animals?
Animals are generally somewhat neutral towards him, though he can regularly get pretty close to wild animals without them caring.
10. Do they like children? Do children like them? Do they have or want any children? What would they be like as a parent? Or as a godparent/babysitter/ect?
No (but he does well with them anyway), yes, no, neglectful, not too bad (just because it’s not much interaction. Facades are tough to keep up over long times)
11. Do they have any special diet requirements? Are they a vegetarian? Vegan? Have any allergies?
Will starve without meat. His species generally views bread as a mild poison, but Dzamie being Dzamie, he no longer has to care.
12. What is their favourite food?
Brownies, the chocolate-ier the better.
13. What is their least favourite food?
14. Do they have any specific memories of food/a restaurant/meal?
Nothing in particular. He remembers being food a lot, especially for HM, but that’s not really the same.
15. Are they good at cooking? Do they enjoy it? What do others think of their cooking?
He’s amazing at cooking, especially at arguably-taboo meals (though he won’t make anything he wouldn’t eat). He has a lot of fun with it, because he “gets to play with knives and fire, and out comes delicious food.” He’s quite the showman while cooking, which can be hit-or-miss, but most people like his cooking, assuming they like the dish he makes (i.e. he obviously can’t make a PB&J that someone who’s allergic to peanuts would like).
16. Do they collect anything? What do they do with it? Where do they keep it?
He hoards knowledge, gold, and some shiny jewels, which he blames on growing up with HM. Additionally, he keeps trophies - the left horn of each dragon he slays, and the sword of any dragonslayer he bests in combat (not usually kills, just leaves weaponless for a while. It’s a slayer thing).
17. Do they like to take photos? What do they like to take photos of? Selfies? What do they do with their photos?
Nope! He likes to be on camera, but photos aren’t really his thing.
18. What’s their favourite genre of: books, music, tv shows, films, video games and anything else
Books: Fiction with interesting worldbuilding stuff. He tends to visit those places.
Music: Anything with a good rhythm and tempo, since he often fights in time to whatever’s playing in his head. Electro-stuff is good.
TV shows: No preference, really. He doesn’t watch much.
Films: Same as books, though he tends to riff on the films he watches.
Video games: Platformers with tight controls.
19. What’s their least favourite genres?
Most things to do with rural stuff, come to think of it.
20. Do they like musicals? Music in general? What do they do when they’re favourite song comes?
He likes the idea of musicals, rarely the implementation.
Music is very important to him, especially as he can mimic male voices, and move precisely to rhythms.
21. Do they have a temper? Are they patient? What are they like when they do lose their temper?
He kind of does. He’s pretty patient, and tends to do the silent-rage sort of thing when upset enough. Though, it’s a little bit of a tell that his magic spikes and its color turns from green (pride) to red (anger).
22. What are their favourite insults to use? What do they insult people for? Or do they prefer to bitch behind someone’s back?
He’s definitely the kind of person who’ll insult someone to their face, either backhanded or up-front. Either directly pointing out flaws (”Let’s get this straight, you thought coming at both me and HM unarmed was a good idea? Did you maybe think the price on his head is that big for a reason?”) or just calling them names that probably don’t make sense if not for inflection (”You absolute salmon.”). Mostly for suicidal lack of common sense.
23. Do they have a good memory? Short term or long term? Are they good with names? Or faces?
He has good auditory and muscle memory, but can’t remember faces, and names are tough. He knows a lot of trivia, and has memorized a bunch of really useful dragonslaying regulations, but it can be kind of random what he remembers.
24. What is their sleeping pattern like? Do they snore? What do they like to sleep on? A soft or hard mattress?
He sleeps whenever. Nobody’s known when or where he’s ever slept for almost two years now, save for a few times people could make guesses from him somehow waking up in a pile of dragons.
25. What do they find funny? Do they have a good sense of humour? Are they funny themselves?
It’s really hard to predict, except for puns. He loves puns. He makes a lot of them, too.
26. How do they act when they’re happy? Do they sing? Dance? Hum? Or do they hide their emotions?
If it’s necessary to keep up a Facade, he hides his emotions well. If not, he smiles, sings and hums, and sometimes fiddles with knives.
27. What makes them sad? Do they cry regularly? Do they cry openly or hide it? What are they like they are sad?
Not much, actually. He hasn’t cried in years, and nobody’s really known if he’s sad - even him.
28. What is their biggest fear? What in general scares them? How do they act when they’re scared?
HM deciding he’d rather not have him around.
HM with a large tactical advantage over him.
Manic grin, blatant rules abuse.
29. What do they do when they find out someone else’s fear? Do they tease them? Or get very over protective?
Depends on if he likes them or not. If he does, he usually doesn’t bring it up, and warns them if something he’s about to do is gonna be really scary (though he usually does it anyway after telling them how to avoid experiencing it).
If he doesn’t like them, he’ll try to abuse that fear as much as he can without letting on that it’s him doing it.
30. Do they exercise? Regularly? Or only when forced? What do they act like pre-work out and post-work out?
“Does playing with people trying to kill me count? Because if not, all I’ve got is sparring with Kenneth and HM, and occasionally going for really long walks.
31. Do they drink? What are they like drunk? What are they like hungover? How do they act when other people are drunk or hungover? Kind or teasing?
Nope, but he can act it really well!
32. What do they dress like? What sorta shops do they buy clothes from? Do they wear the fashion that they like? What do they wear to sleep? Do they wear makeup? What’s their hair like?
He has three modes of dress: comfortable and casual, ridiculously-accurate cosplay, and naked. To sleep, generally just a comfortable pair of PJ bottoms and a t-shirt.
Dzamie doesn’t usually wear makeup, but does an excellent job of dying his fur to pass for a tiger or leopard when he needs to have a non-magical disguise.
33. What underwear do they wear? Boxers or briefs? Lacey? Comfy granny panties?
Boxer-briefs, if he’s wearing anything.
34. What is their body type? How tall are they? Do they like their body?
Lean, somewhat muscular (but it doesn’t show through his fur at all). He’s roughly 6 feet tall, and makes sure he’s very comfortable with whatever form he’s in - he’s very physically expressive, and also does a lot of things that require knowing exactly where every part of him is.
35. What’s their guilty pleasure? What is their totally unguilty pleasure?
His guilty pleasure is probably making up identities to pretend to be online.
His totally unguilty pleasures are a good swordfight, casual pickpocketing (though he generally returns the stuff he swipes), and being eaten, usually by HM, Smugleaf, or Sylvia.
36. What are they good at? What hobbies do they like? Can they sing?
Dzamie’s good at… a lot of stuff, actually. He’s kind of a Mary-Sue. Most of my OCs for the Combined Setting are poorly-written, really, so I don’t write stories with them.
He likes playing videogames, making his hoard look nice, and
bothering talking with HM.
And yes, he’s an amazing singer, pitch-perfect and flawless rhythm. Has trouble with female-sung songs, since he can’t just mimic those.
37. Do they like to read? Are they a fast or slow reader? Do they like poetry? Fictional or non fiction?
Fast-ish reader, prefers fiction (fanfiction especially). Dzamie enjoys poetry and abhors free verse.
38. What do they admire in others? What talents do they wish they had?
Fuck if I know. He wishes he could learn a telekinesis spell (he’s fundamentally blocked from doing so, ever), but this fosters resentment, not admiration.
39. Do they like letters? Or prefer emails/messaging?
40. Do they like energy drinks? Coffee? Sugary food? Or can they naturally stay awake and alert?
“Awake and alert” is his default state, but he’s not known to turn down sugary snacks.
41. What’s their sexuality? What do they find attractive? Physically and mentally? What do they like/need in a relationship?
Self-described as “complicated, or alternatively ‘straight plus also into women’” (he has a variety of transformation spells, and form affects mind). Physically, he likes… scales, tails, and forked tongues. Mentally is a bit tougher, but usually stable and steady enough to not go off the deep-end when he, HM, Dream, and/or Kenny inevitably do something… sanity-testing.
42. What are their goals? What would they sacrifice anything for? What is their secret ambition?
Dzamie doesn’t have any goals in particular. He’d sacrifice anything but his or HM’s life for, well, his or HM’s life. No secret ambitions, really.
43. Are they religious? What do they think of religion? What do they think of religious people? What do they think of non religious people?
He’s not very religious, though if he had to choose he’d say he “observes” Eris (the chaos noodle, not the Greek deity), and he does tend to celebrate major Jewish holidays (Yom Kippur isn’t really “celebrated,” but you get the gist) and Christmas out of tradition. Nobody really knows where this tradition came from.
He generally doesn’t really care about people’s religiosity or whatever, so long as they’re not bonkers enough to try to, say, ritually sacrifice him or someone he cares about, or to try to stop his kobolds’ “cult” at the source by killing Azurel (him as a dragon).
44. What is their favourite season? Type of weather? Are they good in the cold or the heat? What weather do they complain in the most?
Definitely autumn, and heavy cloud cover (but not quite overcast). He’s pretty good in the cold (fire spells just in case) but complains about high temperatures, blaming his fur coat for his crabbiness.
45. How do other people see them? Is it similar to how they see themselves?
They generally think Dzamie’s a bit to the side of normal and sane, but almost disturbingly effective. Those who aren’t used to him find him a bit unstable, but HM, Dream, and Kenneth figure he’s surprisingly predictable - just not in ways most people are.
He, on the other hand… actually, he’d agree with all of that.
46. Do they make a good first impression? Does their first impression reflect them accurately? How do they introduce themselves?
He doesn’t usually have the opportunity to make a good impression; most new people Dzamie meets are met amidst chaos.
“Introductions” tend to range from “Hey, I don’t suppose you’ve seen, like, six kobolds run through here?” to “Hi. I’m Dzamie Deshulian, but you can call me your worst nightmare.” to “Don’t worry! This spell should last for at least ten seconds, so you should run that way before it stops working! Name’s Dzamie, by the way.” to “Good evening. I suppose I should mention a bit of a hole in your security system. It’s about Blue Bandit-sized, which is going to be a problem about two minutes ago.” to “Hi. Dzamie Deshulian. I noticed you guys used to have a dragon problem with a nifty reward. Note the past tense. Here’s her horn.”
47. How do they act in a formal occasion? What do they think of black tie wear? Do they enjoy fancy parties and love to chit chat or loathe the whole event?
Generally hates them. Plays well, but generally expects a pretty big payoff (assassination target, scoping out a Blue Bandit target, some really good food, etc.) if he’s going to pretend he’s actually enjoying his time there.
48. Do they enjoy any parties? If so what kind? Do they organise the party or just turn up? How do they act? What if they didn’t want to go but were dragged along by a friend?
He vaguely enjoys get-togethers, but often stays away from group conversations, content to just watch people do people things. If it’s a party where a lot of the guests are dragons, he can usually expect to wake up in a pile of dragons. He has no idea how this keeps happening.
49. What is their most valued object? Are they sentimental? Is there something they have to take everywhere with them?
Tough call between his twin katanas, his Dragonslayer blade, and the mana-crystal necklace he wears pretty much all the time. The katanas are actually everywhere he goes as well, but they usually don’t actually exist until they need to.
50. If they could only take one bag of stuff somewhere with them: what would they pack? What do they consider their essentials?
His spellbook and a bunch of knives. Everything else can be summoned, created, traded for, stolen, or… harvested, if they’re not the necklace (always on him) or his twin swords (also always on him).