My Favorite Monster Girls
As part of the Monday portion of the Week of Toku Ladies created by @week-of-toku-ladies which involves Monster Ladies, I decided to make one of my lists for my favorite Monster Ladies in Super Sentai. These are women who either ARE monsters disguised as human women or women who turn into monsters. I’m not including any completely human looking villains here or the whole list would be characters played by Machiko Soga.
5. Princess Multiwa from Chouriki Sentai Ohranger
More of an evil robot than a true monster but as all of the monsters in this series were robots, I am counting her. Princess Multiwa was the niece of Empress Hysteria of the Machine Empire Baranoia and married the Prince, Buldont when he took the throne from his Father who had been killed in a coup. Multiwa is a skilled archer and even has a human form, though she only uses it once in the series. She’s on the list for being a cruel, heartless robot… and also because for a robot, she’s kind of cute!
4. Madame Noir from Ressha Sentai ToQger
Madame Noir just has an amazing look. She’s a monstrous version of a Victorian-style Lady with a very Gothic and creepy style to her. She is a member of the Shadow Line and her main goal seems to be to get her daughter Glitter, to marry to Emperor of Darkness, thus elevating her to Royal status. She really doesn’t care what her daughter wants, it’s all about how her daughter can be used to elevate her own status, which is very much in tune with her European Nobility stylings. Plus, she has a parasol and parasols are just cool.
3. Leh Näfel from Choushinsei Flashman
This lovely villainess played by the wonderful Sayoko Hagiwara (who also portrayed DynaPink in 1983′s Kagaku Sentai Dynaman) is a catwoman cyborg member of the Resconstructive Empire Mess. She is one of the Empire’s field commanders and can often be seen accompanied by her two underlings, Wolk and Kilt. She can also transform into the monstrous Näfelura, which brings out even more of her feline nature.
2. Lami from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger
This is one of the most famous of the ladies who turn into monsters on this list, especially among Western fans for she was converted into Scorpina for the first season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I like her Japanese version much better though as she doesn’t just vanish for no reason without explanation. She is Bandora’s spy and can disguise herself in various costumes. She is also the wife of Grifforzer and at the end of the series, they have a baby together. The reason she makes the list (other than being awesome) is that when she grows, she takes on an entirely monstrous form called Lami Scorpion.
1. Mele from Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger
Mele tops a lot of my lists because I just freaking love her! She makes this one for two additional reasons that qualify her for the monster list.
1) She can transform into a chameleon creature. This gives her the ability to blend into her surroundings and use her tongue as a long-ranger weapon. Much like Lami above, she is a spy and uses her powers in this form to watch while remaining completely unnoticed.
2) She is undead. Mele originally died hundreds of years ago during the original GekiRin Rebellion that split the art of Jyuken into two opposing schools and philosophies. She was brought back to life by Rio, who used his own amazing Rinki to make her almost entirely human. Though she may look like a mortal woman, she is still undead, unable to enjoy the full range of experiences humans can have. She wants to be fully human so that she can love Rio and be with him.
So, there is my short list. Hope you enjoyed it and please, check out the other posts on @week-of-toku-ladies for more fun!