What are your camp camp hc for David?
- david has been dealing with depression and anxiety since his early teens. he’d taken up a ‘fake it till you make it’ approach towards happiness later in his life, and is still keeping himself to it ever since. it’s….as healthy as it sounds like. he just ends up repressing most of his emotions, which just worsens his anxiety. that is probably connected to his sleeping problems which have been adressed in canon.
- tl;dr: max can’t break what’s already broken.
- he’s on medication though and accepts he has issues to work on.
- i imagine his childhood wasn’t that great, and he either had an absent father or a pretty awful one. his summers spent at camp campbell were the absolute highlights of his childhood, and, well that sure says something.
- when david was a kid, cameron campbell was more present in the life of the camp and probably less present in running from the law. i think he and david had a pretty good relationship (think dipper/grunkle stan type of bonding, if you’ve seen gravity falls, that is).
- cameron campbell did actually seem to care about david (more than his own parents did, at least) and probably still does in a way.
there is not much canon proof about cameron caring about anything other than money, but him still calling david “davey” (a childhood nickname, probably?) while not even knowing gwen’s name has to mean something imo.
- (i also like to hc that cameron has more depth to him then we’ve seen so far, but that’s info for another day)
- that pretty much lead to david seeing him as a father figure and role model, and even though he realises that he’s most probably a wanted criminal, he decides to look the other way.
- the summer jasper died was the first summer david spent at camp campbell.
- even though they didn’t have much time to spend together, they became fast friends and got along well.
- i hc that jasper’s death was most probably an accident that happened in spooky island. i have my theories about that too, but let’s just say it was gory and david was present.
- honestly, if you’d ask david to talk about his first summer at camp campbell, he could talk for hours, probably mentioning jasper too, but never thingking about the fact that he died or how he died. his brain is not really letting him go there without being directly reminded.
- david honestly loves his job and loves working with kids - he does his best to be the role model cameron campbell was to him. it’s… not working out, but at least he tries.
- even though max’s home life is the show’s biggest mystery element, i think we can all agree that it’s probably, well, not good. i’m pretty sure david has gotten to this conclusion too.
he doesn’t think max is a trouble child or has hard feelings towards him, but he does think he has his reasons for acting out. he can relate to that, and that’s why he’s trying his DARNEST to be patient and make sure max has the BEST possible summer at camp campbell. just like he did, when he was his age.
- again, it’s not working, but he’s trying.
- he’s both a sad, a happy and a gay drunk. but he’s also a full-time gay, so no surprise here.
- i’d like to think that after things didn’t work out with bonquisha, he introduced her to gwen. that worked out well.