Practice avoiding these 22 negative gestures:
1. Holding Objects in Front of Your Bodys – indicates shyness and resistance, such as you’re hiding behind the objects in an effort to separate yourself from others.
2. Checking the Time or Inspecting Your Fingernailss – a strong sign of boredom.
3. Picking Lint Off of Your Clothess – People will assume that you disapprove of their ideas and/or feel uneasy about giving them an honest opinion.
4. Stroking Your Chin While Looking at Someone –s “I’m judging you!”
5. Narrowing Your Eyes – A slight narrowing of the eyes is an instinctual, universal expression of anger.
6. Standing Too Close – This just makes people feel uncomfortable.
7. Looking Down While in the Presence of Others – usually indicates disinterest. Sometimes it’s even interpreted as a casual sign of arrogance.
8. Touching Your Face During a Conversation – Interpreted as an indication of deception.
9. Faking a Smile – another sign of deception.
10. Leaning Away From Someone You Like – a sign of being bored and disinterested. Some people may also interpret it to mean: “I don’t like you.”
11. Resting Hands Behind the Head or on the Hips – usually interpreted as a sign of superiority or bigheadedness.
12. Not Directly Facing the Person You’re Speaking To – This indicates a certain level of discomfort or a lack of interest. Always face directly forward during a conversation.
13. Crossing Your Arms – a sign of defensive resistance. Some people may also interpret it as a sign of egotism. Always try to keep your arms open and at your sides.
14. Scratching at the Backside of Your Head and Neck – a typical sign of doubt and uncertainty. It can also be interpreted as an indication of lying.
15. Slouching Your Shoulders – indicates low self-esteem. People associate perked-up shoulders with strong self-confidence.
16. Standing with Your Hands Crossed Over Your Genitals – People feeling nervous or unsure of themselves will unconsciously take a guarded stance.
17. Propping Up Your Head with Your Hands – “I’m getting bored!”
18. Wiping Sweaty Hands onto Your Clothes – a sign of frantic nervousness.
19. Sitting on the Edge of Your Chair – a clear indication of being mentally and physically uncomfortable. It’s an apprehensive stance that will make others around you feel uncomfortable as well.
20. Foot and Finger Tapping – usually indicates stress, impatience or boredom. Monitor your habits and practice keeping your limbs at rest.
21. Using Your Hands to Fidget with Small Objects – This is a sign of anxiety. It can also be interpreted as a lack of preparedness.
22. Repeatedly Shifting Body Weight from Foot to Foot – indicates mental and physical discomfort. People may also see this and assume that you’re ready to abandon the conversation.