i had. SO much trouble as a freshman, but ive learned how i couldve survived a LOT better at least through the first semester until i could understand things better
- when you get project/book that’s spread over time assigned to you, DO NOT PUT IT ASIDE FOR LATER. you’re not going to be used to the earlier due dates, and you’re likely going to accidentally put it off until it’s too late. i did this with literally every book we read my first semester. if do it at every moment you have. getting it done early is so much better than putting it off and forgetting to do it.
- MAKE UPPERCLASSMEN FRIENDS. there is literally no possible way i can stress this enough. upperclassmen know EXACTLY what youre going through and they can help from you. hang out with them. ask them questions. learn from them. take notes. they want to help u, & they do not want u to go what they went through. i promise almost every upperclassman will be more than glad to help you.
- dont worry about having a big social life. if youve ever heard people talking about balancing your social life and schoolwork, whether it be a friend, teacher, or relative, theyre wrong. its NOT super hard to keep a social life if you just barely reach out. literally you can just get a twitter or an instagram and follow people you know and youre already there. those “popular” people who always seem to be doing something with their friends in middle school/junior high and never seem to have time for their social life usually don’t care enough about school to do schoolwork. which brings me to my next point!
- drama WILL happen, but DONT try to endorse it if you dont need to. drama is almost unavoidable if you’re going to be friends with more than 1 or 2 people all four years. although it might get intense in the moment, its most likely NOT going to be as bad as it sounds. if someone is being a problem in your life to the point that its affecting you daily life &/or your school performance, then deal talk to them about it if youre sure you can resolve the conflict, or TALK TO THE COUNSELOR. this is literally why theyre here. which this ALSO brings me to my next point!!!
- talk. to. your. counselor. they will literally help you with any problem you could have in school. their purpose is to help with any of your problems you have. that’s why they’re there. they can help a lot more than youd think.
- dont worry about getting a partner. please, i spent nearly two years afraid id grow up & die alone. if youre romantic/sexual please dont worry about it because you won’t be able to predict if/when you go into a relationship. focus on your friends more than future partners. having good friends is so much better than dating a bunch of people youre probably not interested in.