dr. ph martins

2

“So pull me close to you, like attracting magnets would do” 

-Magnet, Amalee cover

Ink, gouache, and watercolour, on cold press paper with gold ink details. Luka’s face was killer.

This is just a sketch based on a photo I found somewhere on the Internet, I did in my Moleskine watercolour sketchbook to test a new technique. I used my COPIC multilines to do the lines only on the main subject (the tram and the car) without any pencil sketch, and then used watercolours to colour the picture and do the background. As the picture had a lot of fiddly white details and text, I used a white gel-pen and white paint to fix them up.

Technical stuff:

  • Watercolour Moleskine
  • Colours: HOLBEIN tube watercolours
  • Lines: Copic Multiliner SP 0.5 and 0.7mm
  • White details: white gel-pen, Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bleed Proof White

インターネットで見つけた写真を参考にして、いつもより早い描き方を試すためにモレスキンに描いたスケッチ。手前の物だけに黒線を入れて、背景はスケッチなしの水彩のみで描きました。白いディテールが多い風景だったので、描いたものの上に白ペンとブリードプルーフホワイトを使ってみました。

ツール詳細

  • 紙:  水彩用モレスキン
  • 色: ホルベイン 水彩
  • ディテール: コピック マルチライナー SP 0.7と0.5
  • 白: 白ペン、ドクターマーチン ブリードプルーフホワイト

📿🌿Inktober day 2 // today I decided to draw an old character from high school! He is a witch who wanders around the Minotaur Forest searching for herbs and gems with his fox friend. This drawing actually reminds me of my old work, because I used to use ink washes and hatching a lot, the medium really took me back haha! you guys can see my really old work (2004-2011) on deviantart (jackiethepirate). Currently editing the video for YouTube 🙃
.
I used a speedball nib, dr ph martins bombay black India ink, a kuretake menso brush, and a prismacolor verithin pencil.
#inktober #inktober2016 #witch #malewitch #illustration #artistsoninstagram #jacquelindeleon

It was my Birthday last week and my friends at work surprised me with a gorgeous set of watercolour inks. It was so generous of them. If any of them are reading this thank you so so much! <3 They are exactly what I wanted but I guess you guys already knew that ╰(◡‿◡✿╰) I love you all.

I’m not very confident when it comes to colours but I’m trying to learn all I can so that I’m not so terrified of it.  

Here’s Hazel Levesque. I was feeling inspired by all the wavy hair in Atlantis and Hazel has beautiful hair :3

These are the tools I use most often to paint. From top to bottom, clockwise:

-Dr. Ph. Martin’s Radiant watercolor (Set A)
-Cotman watercolors (emerald, rose madder hue, and turquoise)
-Sakura Koi waterbrushes (size S, M, and L)
-Sakura Koi Pocket Field Sketch Box (24 colors set)

These are ALL available in online stores, like in JetPens, eBay, and such. :)

Watercolor Dyed Flowers

When you were a kid, you probably either saw or did a science project where you add some food dye to water, add a few white flowers, and BAM!  A day later, you have custom dyed flowers.  I wanted to try this but with my current craft supplies which led to the question “Will this work with watercolors?!”

The answer is yes.  Sort of. :)

Materials

- concentrated liquid watercolors (Dr. Ph Martin’s*)

- water

- small glass vases or sturdy cups (tall vase *)

- white flowers (tip: carnations are the cheapest for experiments)

- scissors

- paper towels to protect your work surface

* affiliate links

Note

Please use sturdy cups that will not tip over.  Definitely don’t use plastic cups because they will easily tip and you’ll have a big (colorful) mess everywhere!

Step 1

Prep the flowers. Cut flower stems to 8 inches or less.  Remove all leaves by snipping them off with scissors (ripping them will further damage the flowers).

Step 2

Fill vessels with 8 oz. of water each.

Step 3

Add 10 drops of concentrated watercolor paint in each vessel.

Step 4

After a couple of hours, you will notice the flowers changing colors.  After a day, the flowers will be as colorful as they can get.   Enjoy :)

Further Notes

This project was a bit of an experiment so I didn’t know exactly how it’d turn out.  Originally, the flower stems were over a feet long and I left the leaves intact because I didn’t want to hurt the flower.  As it turns out, this will delay the color absorption and your flowers may be wilting by the time the colors take effect.

Even after trimming the leaves and stems, the flowers didn’t turn out as colorful as I thought they’d be.  The blue ones are a soft turquoise but the red dye ones are practically white with a hint of pink in the center.  

I want to redo this experiment with less water, even shorter stems, and less flowers per vase.  Just keep this in mind when trying it out yourself :)