After watching R1, it quickly became my fav SW movie and I fell really deep into the SW fandom for the first time. But recently I've honestly kind of felt bad about myself because I loved the whole squad, including Jyn, and I absolutely love Jyn/Cassian, but the amount of vitriol surrounding both is unlike anything I've ever seen in any fandom. I know I shouldn't let antis get to me, and I don't want to give them the satisfaction. Do you have any advice on how to keep a positive head space?
First of all, nonny, I am so happy you love Rogue One so much! I know so many people have had it skyrocket to their favorite Star Wars movie and are finding themselves in fandom for the first time. It’s great to see and participate in all this Star Wars love. That is what fandom is all about.
Given that, I am so sorry that the antis are getting you down. People can be jerks, and antis feed off the way they upset people. I’ve come across this with many of my favorite characters and it’s really just same old, same old with these people. The structure of Tumblr makes it a little harder to get around them but here is my advice.
1) If you see antis when you go into the tag, go ahead and block them. I block freely and without reserve. People who don’t respect the tag or don’t try to keep their posts out of the search results are trying to rile you up and they don’t deserve the satisfaction.
2) Do not directly engage with a post. What I do and what I’ve seen others do is create a new post that mentions the claim and then debunks it. What you are interested in is not convincing the anti, who is out to destroy happiness, but to generate positive conversation with people who are casually reading things (and your friends). Keep the high ground at all times. Responding to the post directly only feeds the trolls. If by some bizarre unfortunate chance you get anon hate, delete it without publishing. Imagine the anti, refreshing your blog over and over waiting to see your outrage in vain.
3) If you have friends who are posting negative things about Jyn or Jyn/Cassian, ask them if they can use a tag so you can blacklist their posts. Friends don’t want to keep upsetting friends, after all. I use Tumblr Savior but XKit is also a good tool to filter out these posts.
4) Rewatch Rogue One! (Maybe stop right after they go through the shield gate so you don’t cry but up until that point it makes me purely happy.) Watch Jyn learn to trust again and find a home after being abandoned for so many years! Watch Cassian yell for her in concern and go back for her repeatedly, even when the mission does not require it! Watch them have no concept of personal space, even when they’re upset with each other! Watch the entire Rogue One team bond and become a found family! Watch the way Jyn and Cassian light up in the “welcome home” scene with bonus leaning! Watch the elevator scene! The good news is that canon is on our side.
5) Most importantly, focus on the joy in fandom :) There are so many more fans who love this movie and Jyn and Jyn/Cassian than people who hate her and the ship. There are many people who are not on Tumblr who love the whole team, including Jyn and this ship. You can follow positive blogs to stay inundated with positive fandom and I have to give a shout out to @therebelcaptainnetwork as a central location for happy Jyn/Cassian content.
(When in doubt, step away from Tumblr. Go for a walk, drink some tea, pet a fluffy animal. Fandom should be fun but it’s also important to take breaks when it’s not, as with anything.)
The antis are loud because they want attention but at the end of the day, these people are spending their time hating something instead of creating positive content about something they love. They are the equivalent of the bullies in the parking lot yelling mean things as you drive off with your friends to do something you love, and they should be treated as such - ignored in general and publicly, calmly, and factually refuted when they become a nuisance (like this weekend). In contrast, we get to spend our time being delighted and happy about these characters.