Small dump of random ideas I have on improving Fates’ plot in general
Because I’ve had these ideas for quite a while now, and it’s extremely unlikely that I get around to doing anything with them any time soon.
- An explanation of what Valla actually is: My idea is that it was originally an entire country between Hoshido and Nohr, at the place where during the main story the Bottomless Canyon is. When Anankos went mad and rampaged, the magic energy involved created a rift between Hoshido and Nohr in the form of the canyon, while transporting Valla into this “floating island dimension”.
- Explaining how the royal families of Hoshido and Nohr came to be/got their “dragon blood”: The divine dragons of Hoshido and Nohr (y’know, the ones depicted in the statues) could for example have chosen to permanently assume a mortal human form instead of risking to go insane like Anankos. They could have founded the royal families.
- Replace the curse on Valla with something else: Instead of causing everybody who talks about Valla to “disappear” for vague reasons, they curse could cause everybody not from Valla simply constantly forget about it whenever they mention it (unless they’re IN Valla). For the main story, this’d mean that Azura and the avatar are the only characters capable of remembering the place because of their heritage.
- In the backstory, this curse could be justified by the people of Valla starting the curse to prevent Hoshido and Nohr from attacking them - ‘cause let’s face it, having Anankos do that kind of rampage would mean that Hoshido and Nohr would damn well want to kill him.
- Give Mikoto a bigger role by having her actually live past the prologue chapters: If those first couple of chapters are really kept the same, she could just fall into a ~~magical coma~~ from which she’d wake up either halfway or towards the end of the game, so that she only sees what the avatar decided on a while after it happened.
- Give Garon a better role: Namely, don’t make him an undead slime monster, and let him act like an actual person instead of a generic villain. He could for example be still alive and well in theory, but at the same time be corrupted/possessed by Anankos.
- On that note, the entire dynamic between Garon and Iago could be like that Theoden and Grima in Lord of the Rings, in that Iago is a servant of Anankos who’s making sure that Garon is under his control.
- And related to the above, Yukimura could be repurposed into a villain another servant of Anankos on the side of Hoshido with Kotaro as his lackey. That could also help Hoshido being less of a “~~uwu sweet cinnamon peace nation~~* and be more morally even with Nohr.
- On a rewritten Conquest, Yukimura could also basically lead Hoshido into war under the guise of acting on Mikoto’s orders.
- Give the sisters legendary weapons.
- Seriously, just do it.
- I don’t give a shit if that means that the Yato’d have to have eight traffic lights on it for being powered up by each individual one, just do it.
- Camilla wouldn’t even have to get an original one, she could just inherit Bölverk from Garon with the story noting that Xander originally was supposed to get it, but Garon saw that he was shit with axes while Camilla was great with them, so she got it instead.