people have watched Dirk Gently’s holistic detective agency yet and I’m here to fix that. If you’re in either the supernatural, Doctor Who, Sherlock fandom or all three, stop what you’re doing right now and binge watch the entire eight episodes to feel my pain.
The show is actually a mix of the Superwholock shows, even including Osric Chau in the cast!!! Just like Sherlock it’s the story of a detective not quite like other private investigators and his attempts to gain the trust of the man he wants as his assistant. Like Doctor Who, science fiction. Time travel, experiments, all of it comes in the mix. And, finally, Supernatural. Cults, body swapping, souls.
Honestly, the Superwholockians out there will love it. Watch it!!!
10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH DIRK GENTLY RIGHT NOW
So, Dirk Gentley’s Holistic Detective Agency is this sweet combination of Doctor Who and Sherlock, with a flavor of Hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy, forming it’s own brand of awesomeness. If you are not already watching it, now it’s time to, and here’s some reasons why!
1. Awesome lead characters. Both of them have real flaws, and real strenght, and their interraction, character development and friendship is a real gift to this world.
2. Strong woman of color who is a real badass, and totally keeps the groups shit together.
3. Another badass woman, who also has a mental illness. She has meaningful relationships, finds friends who are perfect for her and there’s lots of things she rocks at.
5. Believe it or not - YET ANOTHER BADASS WOMAN CHARACTER, this on is a bit loony and also perfect. She also has a lovely sidekick (yes, a man is a sidekick for woman) and their developing friendship ROCKS THE WORLD. Also tons and tons of character development here people.
6. This dog.
7. THIS DOG. Honestly, I saw the pic on the top of this post, and I only opened the series cause it had a corgi on it. I was ready to be disappointed that corgi is just on screen by accident, BUT NO, THIS CORGI IS IMPORTANT.
8. NO UNANSWERED QUESTIONS WITH PLOT, NO PLOT HOLES. Especially if you are unsatisfied with other shows unfulfilled subtext and foreshadowing, make yourself comfy with this! EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED, this is 100% good writing.
9. NO EMPTY ROMANCES, INSTEAD PLENTY REAL, AWESOME FRIENDSHIPS. Also no illogical romantic feelings just because “he was a boy and she was a girl.” Also if I wasn’t clear enough earlier, friendships are genuinely awesome, they have variety, personal touch, pure awesome.
10. Did I already mention awesome writing? Not only characters are well written, plot is well written, but all interation is well written, and humor is good but there’s also serious stuff. It doesn’t need to put any group of people down to be clever.
BONUS: It has lovely colors and editing, and also good music!
So what are you still waiting for! Go watch it and join the fandom!
Please hire Max Landis to write an episode of Doctor Who. Preferably a two-parter. And pay him a lot of money. And then do it again, the next series. Basically, do everything you can to fast-track him becoming showrunner some day.
I know that he is an American (and for that matter, so am I.) But doing these things might one day save the franchise. And at the very least will help redeem the show from a lot of what it’s done wrong these last few years. I guarantee it.