Hi all! Welcome to the second review of TVD season 1.
Considering that I haven’t like sat down to watch a full episode of the
past seasons of TVD in a few years and my memory might not be the
greatest I think I will start with my usual disclaimer: I will write my
thoughts in real time so if I make a mistake at the beginning of this
post, it will be corrected by the end. There will be anti-Damon and
anti-Delena sentiments (I’m only mentioning these two because it’s the
beginning of the series), I will probably bring up other shows and call
attention to misogynoir, racism, anti-blackness etc. Ready? Let’s go.
1. OMG Help I’m Alive is playing in the opening scene. It takes me back.
2. I forgot that we actually get to see randoms in the opening scenes before, you know, Damon kills them.
3. Actually very cinematic openings. WOW. Totally forgot.
4. Elena’s face at remembering the all-night conversation she had with Stefan is just so affected, like that conversation changed her entire life.
5. “Do I look adult?” Jenna, WHO is the guardian?
6. “Something about a woodshop to finish a bird house … There is no woodshop is there?” Jenna, your nephew is a fucking drug dealer, how do you not know there is no woodshop? How uninvolved ARE you?
7. Elena smiling being caught by Tanner for staring at Stefan is SO cute.
8. I don’t know how people keep maintaining that SE had no buildup, they’re talking about Charlotte Bronte right now. You know, sharing interests?
9. Stefan you are so OBVIOUS, does your head have to go upward when you hear “vampire’? Play it cool.
10. “Six classes, that’s hard to do…” Jenna, it is not hard to skip six classes.
11. Tanner may be a dick but him questioning Jenna’s parenting abilities is giving me life because girl, what the fuck are you doing?
12. Stefan’s jeans are better, thank God.
13. Isn’t there a panic button in the room? Why would Matt have to go outside for the nurse? So Stefan can go in. Lol, details.
14. LOL Bonnie’s scandalized expression at Caroline’s “Just jump his bones already!” is everything.
15. Jeremy legit just walked out of the room, no respect for Jenna whatsoever.
16. Not gonna lie, Matt looks good in that shirt in the hospital with Vicki. He had potential.
17. The girl who plays Vicki is not a convincing actress.
20. Seriously, all Damon does is terrorize Elena. Also how do vampires get doors to close without humans hearing them?
21. DAMON’S HAIR IS RIDICULOUS. It looks like a goddamn bird’s nest.
22. And Ian looks really old compared to Nina.
23. Those stupid fucking eyebrows. I want to punch him, man.
24. “I know I should’ve called, I just…” at least they mention phones lmao.
25. Ian’s eyes are not expressive, he just waggles his eyebrows a lot.
26. Paul actually managed to make Stefan look like a rock solid statue when he was glaring at Ian, like he is seriously underrated as an actor.
27. Jeremy, just because you have a hood doesn’t mean you were invisible.
28. “Quit skipping class or you’re grounded.” No, Jenna, he gets grounded FOR skipping class. Girl, bye.
29. Really though, Damon legit fucked up Vicki’s life.
30. We actually see random people in MF, like there are OTHER people in the town.
31. Elena’s outfit is on point.
32. “I get around” is playing back, lmao I made a multivid to this song. HAHAHA.
33. “Is she worth it, uncle Stefan? This girl you came back for?” Seriously, this is important. Stefan’s life has become way more chaotic because he has to know Elena, he’s risking a lot so he can get to know her and it’s the second episode, the Us Against The World, Profound Love is BUILT INTO the narrative.
34. Oh yes, give Vicki some pills in the Grill and Vicki take them there too like y’all aren’t in public.
35. It seriously is a big deal that Jeremy is a dealer and the show is treating it like it’s just a phase, no it’s juvie, at the very least probation!
36. I like the SE candle meeting for a few reasons. Firstly, I find it very poetic and beautiful, the joining of two flames only to realize you’re connecting to your soulmate. Secondly, Ninas fucking eyes, man, the way they shine? The way her mouth parts? And Paul’s eyes, that smile on his face… This is legit chemistry.
37. I always think I can eat and watch something but I always get distracted and this bulgogi and rice is liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
38. I think a really underrated scene is when Stefan tells Elena that the comet has been travelling all alone and Elena responds, “Yeah, Bonnie says it’s a harbinger of evil” and then has this look on her face like omg, WHY would you SAY that to him? Totally stupid thing to say! Cause we all have those moments where you say something awkward to the person you’re vibing on and you’re like … So I’ll just go die in a corner somewhere.
39. I also really like that when Elena says, “You seem to spend a lot of time apologizing” Stefan doesn’t deny it, he’s just like “I have a lot to apologize for”, I mean he’s honest about his faults.
40. And the show actually did a good job with this scene showing how Elena is building walls around Stefan, she refuses to look at him, she keeps talking about getting hurt, she’s being forcefully guarded and then later on she decides she can’t do that forever and that she has something really special with Stefan even if it’s new. I never got that sense with DE especially since there was no grey area there, with Stefan, there IS a grey area like, you can decide to be without him and be away from the complexity of his existence and be unhappy or you can be with him, be in love but deal with chaotic circumstances, pick one, with DE it’s just like so be with the man who terrorized you friends and family or don’t be with the man who terrorized your friends and family.
41. I actually finished my beef and rice at the same time and I am HAPPY because usually they don’t give you enough bulgogi or they don’t give you enough rice.
42. Elena was looking for you to tell her “um that’s a bullshit excuse” though, Stefan.
43. Damon’s. Hair. Is. Ridiculous.
44. Elena stop “threatening” Jeremy with therapy and send his ass to therapy.
45. LOL Stefan is actually REALLY intimidating because he just STARES and he’s all chiselled and intense-eyed. Matt is there babbling about looking out for Elena and Stefan’s just STARING and Matt’s like … … …
46. Like how many times is Damon going to fucking terrorize Vicki?
47. OK so I get that Stefan’s compulsion on Vicki was weak because he didn’t feed from a human so does that mean when Damon tells her to think really hard, she broke the compulsion and then Damon can re-compel her to think Stefan bit her? Because in 1x17 Damon says he can’t compel an already compelled person to let him into the house. So.
48. Damon is fucking ridiculous and trifling.
49. He isn’t even funny or charming, he’s just ANNOYING and unnecessarily homicidal.
50. Jenna, having a freakout about parenting your teen niece and nephew to your teen niece is ridiculous, like how are you asking your teen niece to walk you through parenting her? LIKE OMG.
51. I don’t even get what Jeremy sees in Vicki though.
52. Yeah, not a fan of Caroline’s yellow dress and black boots. Glad her wardrobe got better in season 2.
53. Seriously, the way Elena looks at Stefan.
54. And Stefan looks at Elena with such intense focus, I would be so tongue-tied.
55. Damon biting Caroline, being trifling af again.
1x02 is very suspenseful in the sense that you have Vicki freaking out because Damon fucked her up, Matt following Stefan through the hospital, a lot of false scares, lots of shadows, the narrative is still a little weak though, it’s why when I did used to watch TVD again, I would start from when Elena knows Stefan is a vampire because that’s when he show really picks up. On to 1x03.
“We’ve all made terrible mistakes in our
life, done things that no apology can heal, but you just have to keep
going trying to find some new happiness no matter how much you’ve
lost. The strange thing is, losing those people is what brought us
together, it’s how we found each other, it’s what made us family.”
Do you think Elena still loved Stefan after she woke up? Stefan clearly did (and always have), but I feel like Elena didn't love him as much, she first asked if Damon's ok
I think it was very clear that Elena still loved Stefan when she woke up, I find it interesting that her asking if Damon was OK is what indicates that she didn’t love him as much while Stefan spends his entire speech talking about Damon and then tells Elena to convey a message to Caroline but somehow to people he was clearly still in love with Elena. I just think there’s an inherent bias that Stefan will always love Elena more and I never understood it when out of the two of them, Elena is the one who who pursues most of the time.
and her hand is still out, reaching for him even though he’s walking away.
Then she’s happy to see Bonnie because they’re both alive but then is automatically drained into sorrow because Stefan isn’t there:
And then we find her writing about Stefan in her journal at Stefan’s crypt.
I mean I just find it so funny that Stefan doesn’t need to say the words I love you for everyone to believe that he never stopped loving her but it feels like Elena needs to carve her heart out and serve it to Stefan for people to believe that she never stopped loving him.
Hi all! Welcome to the third review of TVD season 1. Considering that I haven’t like sat down to watch a full episode of the past seasons of TVD in a few years and my memory might not be the greatest I think I will start with my usual disclaimer: I will write my thoughts in real time so if I make a mistake at the beginning of this post, it will be corrected by the end. There will be anti-Damon and anti-Delena sentiments (I’m only mentioning these two because it’s the beginning of the series), and in light of recent events I feel the need to say that there may be some anti-Jenna sentiments too. I will probably bring up other shows and call attention to misogynoir, racism, anti-blackness etc. Ready? Let’s go.
Tumblr deleted my numbering for some reason but it’s 2:20 am so I will fix it tmr.
I remember when I saw this scene — when Caroline tries to leave the room after Damon bit her, on YouTube and people were commenting on how “comedic” it was that Caroline grabs a lamp and tries to hit Damon in the face with it and how the jokes he’s cracking are so funny and I think when I first saw this scene air I thought it was vaguely funny too but it’s completely horrifying. Caroline is traumatized and hurt and is fighting to escape her attacker who throws her back on the bed to attack her again. Like it isn’t comedic at all.
Vicki how are you acting indignant because you’ve been playing with Puppy Jeremy’s emotions for how long and he’s like did you sleep with me because of the drugs? It’s a valid question!
Omg I don’t exactly know why but I find it so hot that Stefan goes up to Elena, “Good morning, Elena.” Then, “Good morning, Bonnie.”
I lied, I know exactly why. It was polite and inclusive and that is fucking hot.
I have it paused on Stefan looking at Bonnie and he just has this gaze that makes me all tingly for Paulerina/Stefonnie purposes.
And it’s a DIFFERENT gaze than his SE gaze.
LMFAO. “What are you doing, standing there looking like one of those little yard trolls.” “Gnomes”. Maybe because it’s 1 AM but I just find that exchange hilarious, like there are tears of laughter. “Yard trolls” Tyler? Omg.
Do we see them in a class other than history at all throughout the show?
Elena’s face when Stefan answers that Pearl Harbour question, like omg my boyfriend is so smart and he saves me from embarrassment teehee. She is SO giddy.
“Years and years of crossword puzzles, it’s a loner thing.” They tease each other and flirt, like DErs are TRIPPIN.
In fact, is Tanner the only teacher we see? Besides Alaric who is Tanner’s replacement?
“First my girlfriend, now my team.” Matt doesn’t even give off the vibe that he’s a captain.
It’s really disturbing seeing Caroline kiss Damon and get out of the car.
Lol Paul looks hot with mussed hair and dirt smudged on his face.
I actually wish we could see more of a Matt and Stefan friendship.
Another Stefan shirtless moment!
“Very Emerson the way you reveal your soul with so many adjectives.” Like the only Damon line I like until season 7.
Ian’s hair is becoming less offensive.
Seriously, when Stefan is murderously angry with Damon but doesn’t do anything about it, Paul turns into a fucking statue. I find it insane because I think it really shows how much rage Stefan is actually in but he’s containing it so he has to become, like, inanimate. It’s very inhuman and done really well. I didn’t notice this before.
Kat’s eyes are beautifully big.
That wardrobe though 😒
Salem witches … Let’s not address that they would be enslaved, like Tituba and Mary Black but whatever.
I find it unbelievably disturbing that Caroline and Damon look more like a couple than Damon and Elena ever did.
Matt, HOW are you friends with Tyler? He treats your sister like SHIT.
That Elena and Damon conversation is like … I guess. I mean, if they want to say Elena hates cheerleading now because it’s not her life anymore that’s fine, I get it, but it legit just looked like she was confused because she didn’t know the new routine. And how would Damon see her at practice when he drove away before they actually began doing the routine? Something Elena should find creepy but whatever.
OK so I know this makeout is just a dream, which sucks, but it really speaks to the Dobsley chemistry, they’re really in sync and when Stefan moves his hands up Elena’s legs when she takes off her shirt, I always find that incredibly sexy. Also when Stefan starts to take off his shirt, something about it I find really hot I think it’s because they’re so sync. And then Damon’s face ruins it.
I also find it telling that when Damon terrorizes Elena with that dream, it’s not just that he inserts a sex dream of him in her head, he lures her into a false sense of security with Stefan and then shocks her with his face. Like he goes through all these levels to fuck with her.
“There must be a shred of humanity in my brother, somewhere, but how do I make him see it and how do I protect her?” This is 1x03, guys. So Damon’s “You decided I was someone worth saving” speech is bullshit. Julie and the DErs and the show and then eventually Stefan act like Elena was the first person since Damon’s turn who believed he had good in him. When Stefan had BEEN saying, “Damon it doesn’t have to be like this.” “Damon can we just leave it.” ANYWAY.
Also I just realized that Elena doesn’t find it a little bit awkward that Damon and Stefan dated the same woman? She’s just like “You lost her too”? And Damon is older. OK.
My cat just walked in meowing and dropping one of my old beanie babies by my bed. It distracted the hell out of me.
Oh look the DE necklace that Stefan had forever and gave to Elena, the only person he ever wanted to give it to.
Seriously, Elena just looks like she feels SO good because of Stefan.
“And you’re not in uniform because?” Great delivery.
Tyler is such a dick. Like. Wow.
Although Jeremy using a bottle is a bitch ass move.
“I’m fine!” “Yeah you smell fine!” And Elena just lets Jeremy walk away. He tried to use as a bottle as a weapon and he’s drunk af, girl go after your brother.
“Caroline may have some really annoying traits but we’ve been friends since the first grade and that means something to me” yeah, until you sleep with her rapist.
So a lamp barely has an effect on Damon but Elena slaps him and his face whips to the side.
“You’re not going to hurt her Damon because somewhere deep down, you feel for her” HOW? HOW WOULD YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT. They spoke to each other like three times! HOW? DE IS SO MANUFACTURED.
But Stefan really fucking tried with Damon, man. “You hate me because you loved her and you torture me because you still do and that is your humanity” like he’s taking every fucked up thing Damon has done to him and trying to make it a case for his humanity, like he TRIED.
I know we keep saying Damon wasn’t that petty in season 1 but he was kind of fucking petty in season 1, fam.
Bonnie’s devastation at predicting the death is done so well.
Seriously, the Vicki and Jeremy relationship just makes me deeply uncomfortable.
That forehead touch before Stefan and Elena hug is everything.
I like how Damon invading Elena’s bedroom and stroking her face like a fucking stalker is supposed to show that he has humanity. Like whet?
It’s also a really anticlimactic way to end the episode.
Yeah TVD doesn’t really pick up until 1x07. OK so I did the first two reviews and I will review 1x04 tomorrow!
“And that’s my life: weird, messy, complicated, sad, wonderful, amazing, and above all epic. And I owe it all to Stefan. When I met him, I had lost my parents and I was dead inside, but he brought me back to life and I’m going to live it as best I can for as long as I can.”
Hi all! Welcome to the fourth review of TVD season 1. Considering that I
haven’t like sat down to watch a full episode of the past seasons of TVD
in a few years and my memory might not be the greatest I think I will
start with my usual disclaimer: I write my thoughts in real time so
if I make a mistake at the beginning of this post, it will be corrected
by the end. There will be anti-Damon and anti-Delena sentiments (I’m
only mentioning these two because it’s the beginning of the series), and
in light of recent events I feel the need to say that there may be some
anti-Jenna sentiments too. I will probably bring up other shows and
call attention to misogynoir, racism, anti-blackness etc. Ready? Let’s
1. I always wonder how these dreams work, like how much detail does Damon have to put into it? He has Elena wearing the necklace, Logan Fell is on the TV, he has the details of her room and her kitchen, like how does he create these dreams to terrorize Stefan with? Or does he go into Stefan’s head and Stefan has all these details already there so then Damon just manipulates his memory?
2. You know, sometimes I watch teen shows I watched when I was younger and I can go, yeah I can see why people went crazy for this guy even though he’s a dick. I don’t get that, I cannot see why with Damon.
3. His hair is back to be thoroughly offensive. When do they fix it for good?
4. Stefan throwing a knife at Damon’s chest is still, like, my favourite Defan moment.
5. Damon is so petty, like all he does is hangout in Stefan’s room and terrorize him!
6. “Believe it or not, Stefan, some girls don’t need my persuasion.” Damon, you compelled Caroline, you compelled Andie, and it took a sire bond for you to actually get Elena. Who are you fooling, fam?
7. Another Stefan shirtless shot! Seriously, they totally exploited his abs in season 1. Lmao.
8. OH MY GOD, STEFAN STOP WITH THE VOICEOVER.
9. Lol Jenna and Jeremy are in the other room and Elena just grabs Stefan and kisses him like ok my room upstairs RIGHT now.
10. And I didn’t realize Stefan’s reaction, he has a grin on his face but he’s lookng around like … Really? Omg they’re adorable.
11. In every makeout/sex scene SE do there’s always a moment where Stefan or Elena pause to look at each other, even if it’s brief, just to have that eye contact.
12. Nina’s sighing pretty hard.
13. I also like how when Elena is like “Maybe we should press pause” and Stefan agrees, he has to go and sit on the other side of the room, like they cannot be on a bed together because it’ll just get that intense again.
14. Also an anon was talking about how they find it interesting the psychology behind a vampie who is in love with someone but still has the urge to feed on them and I responded that Paul was really interested in that dynamic with SE as well and you really do see it in this scene. They’re getting to a very visceral place with the physical contact so that viscera shifts into his vampirism and hunger so he has to press pause, it just adds to a whole other level of angst.
15. “I would be honoured to accompany you, Miss Gilbert.” 1864 Stefan making a comeback.
16. And Elena is fucking loving it.
17. “No yellow, jaundice go for the blue.” “I don’t like the blue.” “Well, I do.” The problem with Damon is that he doesn’t come across as a vampire, he comes across as an abusive boyfriend. With Stefan, he’s a vampire in the simplest things like the fact that he can become a fucking statue when he’s angry or the fact that he will speak a little old-fashioned and of course the fact that his veins appear when he gets too close to Elena, showing that he hasn’t mastered being in society that well. Damon just has the dialogue and the fog and the crow, he just seems like a guy who has a bunch of tricks and murders people because he feels like it so the Daroline dynamic doesn’t even feel like a predator playing with his prey, like it doesn’t feel non-human and human, he’s just abusive.
18. It’s also really sad watching Caroline look at Damon’s bite marks in the mirror.
19. “You can be very sweet when you want to be.” This is legit just an abusive dynamic, I don’t even want to say relationship anymore because Caroline has no free will.
20. “And Damon’s not dangerous, he just has a lot of issues with his brother, like major, deep-rooted drama” listening to Caroline speak is like listening to Delena stans.
21. “This country’s dumbed down in the last hundred years.” Oh yeah because enforcing enslavement was the pinnacle of American genius. Fucking writers.
22. Zach was unnecessary and the actor is AWFUL.
23. “I got your punk.” What does that mean exactly, Jeremy?
24. I like how everyone is blaming Stefan for Katherine when Damon is, like, 23 or 25.
25. Elena being like hmm, how do I know if Stefan is a calculating, manipulative lying and Damon is the victim, maybe Bonnie is right, is ridiculous considering that Damon tried to kiss her last episode and she experienced Damon being manipulative and called him out on it saying that it was his intention to make her feel uncomfortable. Like this is so fucking manufactured.
26. Paul’s arms though. And then Ian walks in topless like … *rolls eyes* put your shirt on.
27. Damon, you would drive anyone to drink, you’re annoying and homicidal.
28. “If I go online will I find it [the pocketwatch] on ebay? Is that how you pay for your pot?” I know she was making a point but like how expensive does she think weed is?
29. “Yes, being a 150 year old teenager has been the height of my happiness” lol Stefan’s dry wit kills me each time.
30. “I’m not some drunk sorority chick, you can’t roofie me” that is a seriously disgusting line. And people want to argue that Damon isn’t a sexual predator?
31. Ian’s hair is OK again, I guess he, like, brushed it.
32. Tyler legitimately brought Vicki into his house through the back. Like that’s rude.
33. Caroline is rude to Liz for no reason, which is why in the later seasons, when they tried to act like she and Liz always had a wonderful relationship I side-eyed it.
34. Elena reading the registry makes me laugh because I remember the bloopers when Nina couldn’t get one name, like she just couldn’t move past it so Paul and the crew made a joke like, think of it as gonorrhea. And that name isn’t in the final cut.
35. “My therapist says I’m acting out… trying to punish Stefan” are you 16?
36. See Damon telling Elena how he and Stefan died without saying how they died and his clear pain over what they did to him and to Katherine would’ve been a storyline I would like to follow more. If he came back to MF to destroy it because of how much he hated it and he chose Caroline to get back at the Founding families, if he was still devastated by what they did but then throughout the season started realizing that Caroline and Tyler and Jeremy and Elena, essentially the descendants of these families, were actual people and developed from that, I think they could’ve had something interesting. And the show has like remnants of this idea throughout season 1 but it isn’t an actual arc for Damon because his arc is supposed to be Elena and he terrorizes the town because he feels like it, it isn’t a statement so he’s just a dick.
37. “Doesn’t it always come down to the love of a woman?” No. And this is Damon’s entire problem.
38. “That’s what you get when you bring the trash into the party” … Carol, what? Vicki actually did nothing a “respectable” young woman wouldn’t do. Like it just doesn’t even go.
39. Yeah Bonnie is hardly in this episode. Shunted to the sidelnes for no reason. Caroline and Elena haven’t even gone over to her table to see what’s happening. Caroline I forgive because she’s Damon’s puppet right now but Elena, really?
40. I love the way Elena stares at Stefan when they’re dancing and then she giggles to herself because she’s just so happy being with him.
41. “I hope Damon didn’t drive you too crazy.” “No actually, he was on good behaviour” manipulation, Elena, that is what manipulation looks like.
42. Yes, Stefan, Damon is trying to get Elena to turn against you but you not saying anything about yourself isn’t helping matters either. I mean, it makes sense because you’re still fucked up about what Katherine did to you but you gotta budge a little, honey.
43. Oh hey Elena, talking to Bonnie who you left alone all night to bitch about your boy problems?
44. Carol didn’t even say hi to Bonnie.
45. There’s actually no reason why Damon had to bring Caroline to this.
46. I also don’t care at all about Jenna and Logan.
47. “I’m sorry, I take it all back, you are completely right about Damon”, but like Elena wasn’t even defending Damon in the previous scene, so … what?
48. “I’m handling it.” “Handling it? Stefan, you should be having him arrested.” Elena, why don’t YOU have him arrested? You saw the bite marks and you told Damon to stay away from her OR you’ll tell her mother, what is with the show and having characters threaten to do something they should just DO? Like, I would understand it if Elena doesn’t quite know what to do in the situation and thought she did a good job by telling Damon to stay away from Caroline because she IS 16 but her getting mad indignant at Stefan is like … or you could do what you’re telling him to do?
49. Vicki and Jeremy, is just. Ugh.
50. Seriously this scene between Damon and Caroline is fucking terrified, rewatching it really just emphasizes just how awful the show is for the Daroline friendship.
51. And Damon being broken hearted over Katherine does not excuse this behaviour.
52. I just, how does Elena not remember hugging Caroline who was breaking down in her arms saying “I’m fine, I’m fine” every time she’s with Damon? Like how she does she just block that out?
53. Oh, ending it on the utterly useless council.
I don’t know, man, these early episodes just reaffirm my hatred for Damon.