The holiday times are drawing near, and the gift DIYs are coming in! It’s really easy to buy someone a gift from the store, but when you’re on a budget and want to get something thoughtful, it’s more fun to DIY the gift!
Mug DIYs as a gift are super easy and awesome because everyone uses cups and you can customize it in many ways! I saw a lot of cute mug DIYs, but they either involved Oil-Based sharpies or stickers I just didn’t have the time to get!
With a quick stop at the local dollar store and a bit of raiding through your make-up bag, you can make this really amazing, expensive-looking mug!
DIY WATERCOLOR-EFFECT MUGS
WHAT YOU”LL NEED
- Ceramic mug (any shape or size)
- Nail Polish - preferably 2+ colors
- Disposable container
- Tooth picks
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Fill the container with warm water - make sure it’s not filled all the way, so the water won’t spill over when you dip the cup in!
- Pour some of your nail polish colors in the container one at a time. (I used two, but I can see it working with more colors!)
- Note: for me, the nail polish got on the container, and I had to toss it out. Make sure it’s a disposable container!
- Use the toothpick to mix the colors into an interesting pattern one stroke at a time! (the nail polish is thick and won’t mix together if you don’t stir too much)
- Dip your cup into the mixture - I stayed away from dipping the top where people drink
- Optional - Use the toothpick to design with the clumps of nail polish on the mug or left in the container for extra customization!
- Ideas - You can drag the clumps downward into a spiked design like the pink or dot them around into flowers like the blue!
- Let dry for 2-3 hours.
Hand wash these only! Otherwise, put on some dishwash safe Mode Podge as a sealant.
The mug will smell like nailpolish afterwards obviously, but with a good (careful) wash, the smell should go away.
Wrap these mugs up, and now you have the coolest mug gift ever! ♥
Wrap them with hot cocoa mix (and marshmallows?!), coffee, or tea bags for those special friends!!