Okay so you know that trope in fics where after Harry comes out, Ron asks him if he ever looked at him that way? Usually his response is relief but like, what if it wasn’t? What if it went like…
Ron: What do you mean you’ve never?
Harry: Well, you’re like my brother. It would be too weird.
Ron: Not even once?
Ron: But you’ve thought about Malfoy?
Harry: Um, recently, yeah.
Ron: I’m gonna need a 20 inch essay on what Malfoy has that i don’t.
Harry: It’s not like that! Hermione, help me out here.
Ron: Is it the hair?
Hermione: I doubt that’s it, he used to like Ginny. Maybe it’s more about posture.
Harry: *hitting his head to the desk and groaning*
Ron: I’m taller than he is Harry and he’s a bit skinny to be honest. I have more bulk, you know? Wait, where are you going? I’m a bloody catch, come back!
Hermione, snickering: There there, Ronald. I know you are.
- 6th year Albus and Scorpius exploring their sexuality with each other.
- Clumsily touching lips, noses bumping, hushed apologies from behind Albus’s bed curtains despite a silencing spell already being cast because deep down they were so worried that what they were doing was wrong.
- Continuing this for several weeks as they grow more and more comfortable with each other.
- Stealing quick kisses in abandoned corridors, exchanging looks in the library, loving the rush they get when they hear footsteps walk past their empty dorm.
- Rose finally accepting Scorpius’ date invitation after years of asking.
- Scorpius saying yes without a thought, and telling Albus without a care in the world.
- Albus’s heart dropping in his chest as Scorpius tells him the “wonderful news.”
- ”You were wrong Albus. You really were just a game to him. Don’t be heartbroken; you should have seen it coming.”
- Going on only two (uneventful) dates with Rose before him beginning to miss Albus’s lips against his own, wanting to feel his arms wrapped around his waist again.
- “He doesn’t miss you, Scorpius. You’re meant to be with Rose, a girl. You were just fooling around. That’s what teenagers do, right?”
- Albus and Scorpius relaxing by the fireplace together one winter night and getting a bit too playful.
- Scorpius pinning Albus to the soft carpet and hovering above him for a moment before instinctively leaning in.
- Albus completely freezing up at first, not being able to help but notice how beautifully the glow of the fire captured all of Scorpius’s features.
- His heart beating faster as their lips finally touch, sending a large chill down his spine.
- Their kiss becoming more and more heated, Scorpius’s mouth beginning to kiss along Albus’s jawline.
- A soft “I love you” slipping past his lips as they parted from his skin briefly.
- Albus shoving him off half-heartedly and trying to look past the hurt in his eyes.
- “You don’t mean that. You’re straight and in love with my cousin.”
- Scorpius still lightly panting, lips pink and hair messy, raising his eyebrow and shaking his head in disagreement.
- Him finally admitting, “I was scared to love you, but I know now. I can’t stand being without you.”
- Albus’s cheeks glowing Weasley-red, the tint being illuminated even more by the warm glow of the first place.
- Him pressing a shy kiss onto the boy’s cheek before whispering:
they are two red-haired women, one pureblood and one muggleborn, but neither of them care because blood does not matter
(except that it does. except that this whole stupid war is about blood)
they are two red-haired women with the future of the wizarding world growing in their bellies
and this is how it goes
gideon and fabian prewett go into the ground that day
molly, the last remaining prewett, feels like she’s drowning
(and although she is now a weasley, she will always be a prewett)
arthur’s hand in hers reminds her that she is not alone (far from it, in fact), but it does not ease the pain, the grief of losing all that was left of her family in one fell swoop
there is a stream of endless platitudes and consolations, so repetitive and meaningless that they blend into one another
(and she feels awful for the ones she has offered in the past)
(sometimes words mean so little)
she tries to tune it all out. sometimes she mutters, ‘thank you,’ towards her feet, but mostly she is silent
‘when are you due?’
it is the only question that cuts through because it is so thoroughly unexpected, especially at a funeral
looking up, she meets a pair of brilliant green eyes, softened with sympathy in this moment
(but she knows just by looking at her that this woman can be hard, so hard and strong when she wants to be)
(and behind the woman stands a tall, bespectacled man with black hair, wilder and messier than hair really has a right to be, and she knows immediately that they are lily and james potter, who gideon and fabian talked about because of how bright and brave and in love they are)
when she does not answer, lily tries again, ‘you are pregnant, right? this isn’t some awful, social faux pas where i’ve asked a woman if she’s pregnant when she’s not, right?’
james sniggers and lily elbows him in the stomach
(and she wonders about these two, clearly so young, too young, for war and for a baby and for merlin knows what else might be coming)
(but she sees the way he holds her hand reverently, and the way she looks up at him reproachfully, her eyes betraying her amusement and embarrassment, and how he smiles and she smiles back and molly may as well not be there because they are so in love and damn the war)
‘march,’ she eventually answers and the anxiety in lily’s face melts away
then molly casts her eyes downwards and smiles
‘august,’ she answers, glowing like only a woman who is creating life can
lily’s hand skims across her stomach, the instinctual action of a woman whose belly is full of baby
(and molly would know, she has patted her own belly too many times to count)
‘well, i guess our children will be going to hogwarts together, then,’ molly muses aloud
‘maybe they’ll be best friends,’ lily smirks
and, for a moment, molly feels lighter because it is so reassuring to talk about the future in this way, to think about her children growing up in a world where they’re safe and happy and blood doesn’t matter and they can be whatever they choose to be
‘potter and weasley,’ james is staring dreamily at the sky before dropping his gaze back down and grinning widely
‘hogwarts won’t know what hit it.’
she never sees them again
her hands shake when she reads about them in the daily prophet
and she cries when she thinks about how they were bright and brave and so young
(too young and so in love)
(and now gone too soon)
she never forgets, but the memory does fade, the memory of meeting a vivacious couple on one of the worst days of her life and how they gave her hope for a future when the word future felt like taboo
and it doesn’t happen the way any of them had predicted, but it happens
because ron writes home in september 1991, talking about how he made friends with harry potter and how he stuffed himself silly on the hogwarts express because harry was generous and cool and being friends with him was easy and natural
so she thinks of lily and how she rubbed her belly, green eyes alight with hope
and she thinks of james and his cheeky grin and what he said that day
‘potter and weasley. hogwarts won’t know what hit it.’
shoutout to george, fred, and especially ron weasley for realizing that harry was stuck in abusive and unhealthy household and, in spite of the massive trouble they knew they could get in, taking immediate steps to personally see him removed from that environment, something no adult in harry’s life did.
what she means:
why do people hate ron weasley for having such human reactions? why can't they understand he was raised in near poverty and didn't feel like he had any special talents compared to his brothers? it's like people want realistic characters until they're presented with one. it would have been so boring if ron didn't have jealousy and doubt and faltering confidence. he could've been written off as a one-dimensional best friend character but that's not how life works. so many people can identify with ron, he adds a different level to the friendship that creates tension but also makes the golden trio way more meaningful because through all the crap they go through they are always together in the end. how on earth would a perfect, unrealistic ron be any better? and i'm not even done sit down we have at least 500 more pages to go, janice pull up a chair it's going to be a long night
We’re coming for you whether the Muggles like it or not, you can’t miss the World Cup, only Mum and Dad reckon it’s better if we pretend to ask their permission first. If they say yes, send Pig back with your answer pronto, and we’ll come and get you at five o’clock on Sunday. If they say no, send Pig back pronto and we’ll come and get you at five o’clock on Sunday anyway.
Never, ever doubt that Ronald Bilius Weasley is the best friend anyone could possibly wish for.
au where hermionie runs a feminism club at hogwarts. cho’s the secretary and luna’s the treasurer and lavender and pavarti take attendance. pansy attends now and again, because daphne goes every week and it’s boring when she’s not around. they sell badges and banners after school hours, trying to raise money for excursions and mcgonagall always buys something. ginny teaches the girls self defence. harry and ron attend every session.