Living out here on the East Coast I had to develop my non-verbal EC persona.
Coming from the Midwest my resting face was a sunny smile with a glimmer of hope in my eyes. I spoke to everyone I saw and made small talk with strangers. I can’t even tell you how many times I got tried because of that. Hence my development of EC Eesh.
Here’s her MO when she’s in these Philly & Jersey streets:
1) Always chewing gum mad hard on the left side. It makes my lips curl up into a slight snare.
2) Hands in the pockets. Am I holding my student ID or a box cutter? UOENO so off GP you questioning shit.
3) Power walk on 100. Looking like I’m stompin demons down with every step. Why? Cuz I can and maybe I got somewhere important to be. You don’t know my life!
4) Eyes always scouring and surveying the scene. Furrowed brows looking like I expect something to pop off at any moment and I’m ready for it. In fact I’ve been looking forward to it all week.
5) Headphones in at all times cuz I ain’t tryna hear that bullshit. Bumpin “Build Me Up Buttercup” cuz I’m trill af.
But giving that slight head nod and half smile when I make eye contact with other Black folks…cuz respect.