Hey, dumb American question here. Every UK person I have ever met hates Margaret Thatcher. Why? What terrible thing did she do to piss off that many people for so long?
Where do I fucking start?
So, Thatcher was the bane of the working classes, and much of what she did still has repercussions to this day. So, in no particular order, just in the order I remember them, here are some things she did that pissed us off -
In 1989 she introduced this thing called the “Community Charge” but which everyone calls the “Poll Tax” which replaced an older system in which your tax payment was based on the rental value of your home. This new tax meant that people living in one bedroom flats would pay the same as a billionaire living in a mansion. Obviously, the rich loved it, everyone else… not so much. So there were riots (video of news about the riots) - There were lots of riots in the Thatcher years, and they were all notable for the extreme levels of police brutality.
(photo, poll tax protest in Trafalgar Square, 1990)
Then there was her war on industry. There was a lot of inflation when she came to power, so she instituted anti-inflationary measures. All well and good… except not the way she did it. She closed many government controlled industries, most famously steel and coal. The amount spent on public industries dropped by 38% under Thatcher. The coal miners went on strike, for almost a year, but in the end, the pits were still closed, and 64,000 people lost their jobs. Unemployment rates soared in industrial areas, and inequality between these (generally northern or welsh) areas and the rest of the UK is still there. During the strike there were numerous violent clashes with the police at picket lines which were widely televised. As a memoir from one miner attests: “
I saw a police officer with a fire extinguisher in his hand, bashing a lad in the back. I tried to get closer to note down the officer’s number but they were wearing black boilersuits with no numbers. The next thing I knew, a police officer struck me from behind. I was coming in and out of consciousness as I was dragged across the road into an alleyway. They blocked off the alley and beat another lad and me with sticks until I was unconscious.” (I can’t post the whole thing it’s too long, but read it in the Guardian) Images such as this swept the country, turning many people against Thatcher -
And after it was all over people felt Thatcher had lied, saying she wanted to close only 20 pits, when in the end, 75 were closed down.
• Inequality soared whilst she was prime minister. There is a thing called the gini coefficient, it is the most common method of measuring inequality. Under gini, a score of one would be a completely unequal society; zero would be completely equal. Britain’s gini score went up from 0.253 to 0.339 by the time Thatcher resigned.
During her time as prime minister the notorious ‘Section 28′ was published. It stated: A local authority shall not (a) intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality; (b) promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship. - Section 28 wasn’t repealed until 2003.
• She introduced the Right To Buy scheme, which allowed people to buy their council houses for a very low price, which, at first glance, seems like a great idea, allowing people who normally wouldn’t be able to afford their own home to have one - however, loads of people have entered the scheme and now we have far too little social housing, meaning there has been a sharp rise in homelessness.
• The Battle of the Beanfield was a clash between hippies and police near Stonehenge in 1985. 1300 police officers converged on a convoy of 600 new age travellers who were heading to Stonehenge to set up a free festival in violation of a high court order. Again, there was an insane amount of police brutality, and 16 travellers were hospitalised, 573 people were arrested (one of the biggest mass arrests in UK history) - “Pregnant women were clubbed with truncheons, as were those holding babies. The journalist Nick Davies, then working for The Observer, saw the violence. ‘They were like flies around rotten meat,’ he wrote, ‘and there was no question of trying to make a lawful arrest. They crawled all over, truncheons flailing, hitting anybody they could reach. It was extremely violent and very sickening.’” (source) - Once everyone was arrested, the empty vehicles, which were in many cases the only homes the travellers had “were then systematically smashed to pieces and several were set on fire. Seven healthy dogs belonging to the Travellers were put down by officers from the RSPCA.” (source same as above)
Most of the charges were dismissed in court after Lord Cardigan, who had tagged along with them to see what would happen, testified on behalf of the travellers against the police.
Her removal of Irish dissidents right to be placed in a category that essentially made them political prisoners instead of merely criminals led to a hunger strike that ended in 10 deaths, including that of Bobby Sands, who was elected from his prison cell, reflecting the immense national, and international support for Irish nationalists. Thatchers lack of sympathy, or even empathy led to her becoming even more of a hate figure.
• She presided over a rapid deregulation of the banks, which ultimately led to much of the problems during britains 2007-2012 financial crash many years later.
• She took free milk from school children, which, though not as serious as anything else listed here, directly affected every child in the UK and was very unpopular, leading her to get the nickname “Maggie Thatcher, Milk Snatcher”, which is still used today.
This is nowhere near everything she’s done that pisses people off, but I hope it goes some way to explaining why when she died “ding dong the witch is dead” became number one in the UK charts, people partied in the streets, and people protested her (State funded) funeral. She is a decisive figure, some people in the UK do actually love her. I do not. She decimated the UK’s industrial heartland, she caused mass unemployment and the destruction of much of working class culture, she was cavalier in her financial policies and increased inequality by staggering levels, she approved serious police brutality and attempted to destroy the culture of unions in this country. I fundamentally disagree with all she stood for and it angers me that her mistakes are still affecting this country and the people who live in it. And I am VERY angry that the current government are spending £50 million on a museum about her.
alright you're at a 10 and i'm gonna need you at a 2
ding dong the witch is dead
keep your 12-year-old USUK fangirls and your carbohydrates to your damn selves
Attack On Titan:
your show/manga is about death and emotional trauma why are you like this
90% emo, 10% anime newbies
the original weeaboos™
probably the chillest fandom on this list ft. endless suffering
pro tip: stop
Legend of Korra:
lesbian show with elements and stuff
the mother of bizarre crack videos
if you took the meme factor of DR and the sin power of Homestuck, combined it with the following of Vocaloid you would get this incestfest
wh y aR e yOu ssO AGG resSi VE
is personally responsible for creating furries great job Erin Hunter are you happy now
has more salt than the ocean like jeez
a good contender for the gayest fandom out there
Prince of Stride:
The FitnessGram™ Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed sta
Okay so I feel like so much of the fandom is made up of theatre kids like myself, so buckle up and get ready…
- Lance is constantly singing show tunes, and before he left the Garrison, he participated in a theatre group with Hunk and Pidge.
- Hunk was in Stage Crew, and people loved him because he built and moved sets quickly and always brought the stage crew homemade cupcakes during Sunday rehearsals.
- Pidge obviously worked in the sound booth; she auditioned to be in the cast once but sprained her ankle during the first week of rehearsals.
- Keith claimed that the group was dorky, but he secretly wanted to join for Hunk’s Sunday cupcakes and to piss off Lance.
- Lance and Hunk stay up to date on all the new musicals on Broadway, thanks to Pidge figuring out how to download Earth music files.
- Coran is intrigued by Earth music in general and sometimes listens to the soundtracks with Lance and Hunk.
- Keith initially complains because they listened in Lance’s room, but now he dances to all of the songs in his room.
- One time, Allura walked in on Keith dancing like an idiot to the OBC recording of “RENT” and was amused and terrified.
- She said that he might actually be a better dancer than Lance.
- Lance and Pidge had “Hamilton” tickets for spring break, but they left the Garrison before they saw it.
-Lance is still salty about it.
- He blames Keith even though Keith had no clue what the big fuss was about.
-Coran’s first theatre soundtrack was “Hairspray”
- Shiro and Keith swear that they are going to throw Coran off of the ship if they hear “You Can’t Stop the Beat” one more time.
- Even though they secretly love it.
-Shiro and Lance try to get Keith to listen to “Dear Evan Hansen” because they know he’ll love it.
- Keith saw how the end made Lance cry, and he doesn’t like crying
- He asked Hunk about it once, which just turned into him sobbing into Altean brownie batter while singing “For Forever”
- Allura somehow became obsessed with “Newsies” without Lance or Hunk showing it to her.
- She comes up with headcannons for the paladins as each character.
- She constantly tells them to “seize the day”
- Pidge and Keith cringe every time
- Shiro and Pidge try to convince Coran to play “Ding! Dong! The Witch Is Dead!” from “The Wizard of Oz” after they finally defeat Haggar.
- He is initially strongly against it.
- They show him the song and now he can’t think of Haggar without dying of laughter
- Instead of the munchkins, Pidge imagines the little puffball things singing instead.
-Lance’s favorite musical is “In The Heights”
- He saw it three times on Broadway
- Lin-Manuel signed two of his Playbills, one of which he carries around in the pocket of his jacket.
- The other ones are still at the Garrison.
- Everytime Keith brings up their bonding moment, the mice hum “No Me Diga”
- Because of Usnavi, Lance is the only one that can make better coffee than Hunk.
- That is the only thing anyone can cook better than Hunk.
-Hunk’s favorite is “Waitress”
- He somehow convinced Coran that his name was Jenna for three weeks.
- Keith likes to stick with the classics, like “Sweeney Todd” and “Les Miserables”
- He likes to think he listens to them because of the instruments and extreme vocals.
- He really only likes them because everyone dies.
-Pidge’s favorite is “Natasha Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812”
- She saw it with the OBC
- Her father took her before the Kerberos mission, and she has a picture in her room of the two of them with Phillipa Soo in front of the marquee.
- When she finds Matt, she plans on making him listen to the whole thing.
- Pidge developed technology so that they can watch the Tony’s in space, and it’s become a tradition.
That’s it guys! Let me know if you want more!!! 💝💝💝
“You’re in love with my brother!” Scott accuses - completely out of the blue if you ask Stiles. There is nothing whatsoever that could even explain why this question would cross his best friend’s mind. In the middle of them being Call of Duty no less.
“No!” Stiles gets out, grabbing in chest in betrayal. “How dare you accuse me with such blatant lies.”
“You’ve been talking about him nonstop for ten minutes,” Scott counters, and honestly it’s like they’re in court. Where’s the jury? “I kept count.”
Stiles rolls his eyes. “I’m merely just explaining to you in detail how your brother is an asshole to me at school.”
“Excruciating detail,” Scott snorts then pauses the game to really make their conversation serious. “I don’t see what his five o'clock shadow has anything to do with your story.”
“It was ten in the morning!” Stiles is quick to argue because it’s just wrong. Derek is barely eighteen and just four months ago, his ears were too big for his head and now he’s suddenly like a sex god or something. Stiles mentioned all of this in his rant, and he can maybe see how Scott took it the wrong way. “It should be scientifically impossible to sprout five o’clock shadow in the morning. He should wait until noon at the earliest.”
The room is silent save for the background noises from the game. Scott is giving Stiles a look that Stiles refuses to decipher because he has pride and doesn’t deserve to be looked at like he’s being ridiculous. Because he’s not.
“…I don’t think it’s physically possible to make your facial hair grow faster,” another familiar voice adds from the door. The door…that Scott didn’t close when they came up here after school to eat Doritos and play video games. Fucking Scott. “Also, why do either of you care about my facial hair?” Derek’s look is focused on Stiles; he’s not imagining this at all. There’s like this fiery glare of hatred pointed at Stiles, but not Scott even though it was Scott who fucking started the whole thing.
“That’s not what this - ugh,” Stiles ends it on a groan. “This is your fault.” He points his finger straight at his best friend. “I’m just gonna go home. I have an essay that’s due tomorrow.”
Derek mock cheers for the doorway and walks away humming what Stiles swears on his grave is Ding Dong the Witch is Dead. Really Stiles doesn’t deserve this. He’s done nothing wrong.
“Stiles, don’t go,” Scott whines, grabbing Stiles’ wrist when he tries to walk away. “Just because you and my brother are idiots doesn’t mean you need to leave.”
Stiles glances at the screen then back to Scott and shrugs, taking his wrist back. “I really do have an essay. And your brother is an asshole. You don’t know what he did today.” Stiles hadn’t really gotten to his point in his long rant about Derek, the reason Stiles is so done with the guy.
“What did he do?” Scott asks, eyes wide.
Stiles shakes his head and swallows. “Doesn’t matter. If you really want to know, he can own up to it.”
Track list: 1. Dead! - MCR 2. On Top - The Killers 3. Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry 4. Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead - Wizard of Oz 5. Helena - MCR 6. Ironic - Alanis Morrissette 7. Who’s Laughing Now - Jessie J 8. Bye Bye Bye - NSYNC 9. Funeral March - Frederic Chopin 10. Cry Me A River - Justin Timberlake 11. Leck Mich Im Arsch - Mozart 12. Photograph - Nickelback 13. Sweet Victory from Spongebob 14. Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles 15. The SDCC video
Doesn't it seem a bit silly that this Empress that can control electricity, lives in a city that's main power source is water. Would she not be like..."You guys need to get rid of all that or I'll fry"
Haha that’s crossed my mind. Throw a bucket of water on her and ding dong, the witch is dead. 😉