Creamy, Comforting Low Carb Broccoli & Cheese Casserole
I am not on a low carb diet, but sometimes I make low carb recipes to help my energy stay up and motivate me to make veggie or protein-centric dishes. This is a quick & simple spin on a classic casserole I hope you’ll enjoy as much as I do!
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese
- 2 8 oz. packages shirataki rice (pictured above - available for purchase on Amazon)***
- Olive Oil
- 1 bouillon cube (chicken or vegetable) or 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon (pictured above) - optional
- 1 lb. diced ham (omit or sub veggie bacon to make vegetarian)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chop broccoli and sautée in olive oil mixed with a little bouillon (I use a teaspoon of the vegetarian “no chicken base” bouillon pictured above) until cooked through. This will take approximately 10 minutes on medium high heat.
- Prepare both packages of the shirataki rice. This stuff is great for diabetics or folks on a low carb diet, but MAN is it stinky when you remove it from the packaging. In order to remove the strong odor, following these instructions: Open the containers and rinse rice thoroughly. Place in a pan with 1 cup water and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until water has evaporated. Sautée an additional 5-10 minutes until rice is completely dry.
- Combine broccoli with rice in one pan and add cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. You can also add diced ham at this point if you are not making it vegetarian, or a meat substitute such as veggie bacon if you are. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into an oven safe container and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
That’s it! Enjoy! This is great leftover as well, so feel free to double the recipe if you want it to last through the week.
***If you don’t want to use shirataki rice, you can use lentils instead to keep it diabetic-friendly/low carb. And, of course, you can always just use regular ol’ rice if you prefer that!