Unsolved Mononokean Mysteries
Just like the meta list, this is mostly for my own reference… I just like lists a lot, okay haha.
As usual, feel free to correct me/add anything I haven’t noticed (as of right now these are all off the top of my head).
Always editing, so check the original post if you’re interested!
- What Ashiya’s whole deal is (seeing yokai (also why did he not notice any until high school), his last name, his powers, his personality change, hearing voices of yokai that no one else seems to hear)
- Where’s Ashiya’s father?
- Where are Abeno’s parents? Why/how did he start working at the Mononokean (at 7, no less)?
- Where does Abeno live??? There’s been no indication that he actually lives in the Mononokean. Does he have a house/apartment? Related to above, does he have any family?
- Why won’t he let anyone inside his closet? (lol)
- How exactly did Aoi die? There are several heavily implied clues, but we haven’t gotten the whole story yet. (also is Aoi dead at all)
- Why/How did the rumor about the second master of the Mononokean killing the first one start? Was it on purpose, or just what yokai assumed because the master changed?
- What’s so special about the medicine that Abeno gave to Big Boss Scree? Why does he keep that one specifically around his neck? Why did he need it so urgently when he went to Koura’s place?
- Why can’t Yahiko go to the underworld? Why doesn’t he want to?
- Why are there foxes on the underworld gates? And why did their eyes open when Kinako was exorcised?
- Why exactly does the Executive hate humans? Most other yokai seem pretty ambivalent.
- How separate are the underworld and the mundane world?
- Are humans in general common knowledge? Just like most of the human world has no idea yokai exist, do most yokai have no idea humans exist?
- The Legislator says that there’s only a few select yokai who know that the master of the Mononokean is a human, and in exact words, “There’s no telling what would happen if [yokai] learned humans were in the underworld.”, but don’t all of Abeno’s clients know he’s a human? Abeno tells Mitsuchiguya (mask yokai) that Ashiya’s a human without any hesitance, so is it okay? Do at least some of Abeno’s clients think he’s a yokai?
- How famous is the Mononokean, exactly? It’s popular enough to have a waiting list for its services, and Big Boss Scree says he’ll tell the whole underworld about it (to which Abeno replies that he doesn’t need more work).
- How do yokai end up in the mundane world when there’s such strict restrictions on official travel? Part of working at the Mononokean also seems to be going around looking for lost yokai.