You know what kills me a little? Damien - sweet, adorable Damien who eats veggie burgers and makes bouquets with proper Victorian meanings - thought you wouldn’t like him anymore because he was ‘boring’.
Like, first of all, good organization and storage is Thing for me so yes plz drag me to a hardware store. Tennis shoes are completely appropriate work attire and are generally quite useful - stop stressing. And I actually kinda like Springsteen if I don’t have to hear him every day.
Secondly, do you guys know what the general responsibilities of a systems administrator are? They should be able to:
- Support LANs, WANs, network segments, Internet, and intranet systems.
- Maintain system efficiency.
- Ensure design of system allows all components to work properly together.
- Troubleshoot problems reported by users.
- Make recommendations for future upgrades.
- Maintain network and system security.
- Analyze and isolate issues.
- Monitor networks to ensure security and availability to specific users.
- Evaluate and modify system’s performance.
- Identify user needs.
- Maintain integrity of the network, server deployment, and security.
- Ensure network connectivity throughout a company’s LAN/WAN infrastructure is on par with technical considerations.
- Design and deploy networks.
- Perform network address assignment.
- Assign routing protocols and routing table configuration.
- Assign configuration of authentication and authorization of directory services.
- Maintain network facilities in individual machines, such as drivers and settings of personal computers as well as printers.
- Maintain network servers such as file servers, VPNgateways, intrusion detection systems.
- Administer servers, desktop computers, printers, routers, switches, firewalls, phones, personal digital assistants, smartphones, software deployment, security updates and patches.
Also, it usually requires at least an associate’s degree in computer science or a related field (some jobs require a bachelor’s or a master’s degree) and probably a few certificates depending on the systems you’re working with.
TL;DR Goth Dad is v. smart and techy and I love him a lot.