This is the best season of Degrassi since the original Next Generation kids. If you disagree, let me hit you with some facts.
- Maya not only mentioned Cam, but also Adam… AND she did it in a completely natural and fitting way.
- She’s finally dealing with his death and all her other negative life events.
- They brought back a sibling (Katie) so we wouldn’t be asking “Where the fuck is she during all of this.”
- They covered mental illness stigma by having Grace compare her situation to Maya. Huge.
- Hair and make up gave Olivia much better hair. (Hi. I’m shallow.)
- They used the word bisexual.
- I thought Lola and Miles would be awful like Manny and Craig. Instead it was nuanced, tender, and complicated. Not saying Manny and Craig didn’t have it’s moments… it’s just that we got sometjing new here. Whether you ship it or not, you have to admit it was much more than a trashy plot device. I’m trying to stay out of opinion territory, so let’s focus on what I see as a fact. We were all surprised by Lola and Miles, whether it was in a good or bad way. Those little surprise combinations are what I like to see in a Degrassi plot. Yael and Lola fall under that category.
- Their abortion plot was refreshingly different than Manny’s. Throughout her whole ordeal, Lola was the calm one. Miles was too preoccupied too react over the top like Craig did. Not saying the original story line was bad. I just liked getting a different view of thing.
- We also got to see what it was like in the procedure room. Can we talk about how big that is? They typically don’t show that stuff on most shows for adults.
- Esme got a backstory. You go, girl.
- There were so many cringe worthy TRUE Degrassi moments. From Hunter’s boner to Frankie getting dumped with the words “I have to go change all my computer passwords” to Shay getting her period blood all over Tiny’s pants. That last story line trumped Emma’s first period. I don’t even know how that’s possible. And Baaz! I know many fans dislike him… but everything he says is so early Degrassi. When Yael says he won longest penis (so Degrassi), his “USA” reaction made me laugh so hard to the point of tears… because it just reminded me so much of the kind of shit early JT and Toby would worry about. And he called Tiny garson! I can’t.
- Not only was the comedy there, but the serious issues. We had Syrian refugees, terminal illness, a gay kid getting kicked out, etc. And they did it all in a highly focused series of ten episodes.
- That last line deserves a prize. That’s a fact and don’t think anybody will disagree.
I just feel like we’re getting the Degrassi we love back. Teen nick must feel so fucking embarrassed right now.
My only complaint would be Winston… because he’s Winston. But hey, Degrassi, I still applaud you on nearing perfection the way you did.