Top 10 surprise visits to each other while they're living apart ^^
I’m going to have to cut this down to 5 because the majority of their trips to see each other were planned well in advanced to give them both things to look forward to and also because they tended to stay for a long time when they had the chance and needed to plan ahead for it. But there were a few very spontaneous trips before they eventually moved in together. There were several ‘just deciding to fly over for the weekend a few days before’ types (being a well-paid athlete has its perks) but here are the 5 best:
Top 5 Surprise Visits To Each Other While They’re Living Apart:
5) One time after one of their regular extended Skype sessions when Viktor was helping teach Yuuri Russian, Yuuri told him ‘You know, I’d really love to be able to practice my Russian in the country itself’ and Viktor got all heart-eyed like ‘you know you can come and visit me whenever you want’ and Yuuri just smiled and held up the plane tickets he had just bought like ‘I know, I’m flying out tonight’
4) During one of the longer periods apart Yuuri started to really, really miss Viktor and it was making him feel really down and insecure. Viktor picked up on it straight away and the next day Yuuri ended up crying to him on the phone like ‘I’m sorry for crying but I just really miss you’ and Viktor told him to ‘open the door’ and he was standing outside Yuuri’s apartment with a bunch of roses after taking the first flight to Detroit
3) At the Four Continents after chapter 14 (so about a month or two after the GPF). Yuuri had come to watch Viktor at the Russian nationals but they had agreed that the dates of the Europeans and the Four Continents were cutting it too close for Viktor to be able to make it to cheer Yuuri on in return. Naturally Viktor showed up anyway, much to Yuuri’s surprise and delight and Yakov’s exasperation (he didn’t mind really though because Viktor was happier than Yakov had ever seen him before and that was what he cared about most).
2) At their six month anniversary Viktor planned in secret with Phichit to surprise Yuuri. Yuuri came home from training that day to find a note from Phichit on the door saying that he would be gone for the weekend and to have fun and when Yuuri walked into his bedroom Viktor was lying on his bed waiting for him (There were rose petals involved and very minimal clothing. It was very cliché but Yuuri loved it anyway. After he finished laughing). Phichit actually decided to stay away for a week just to be safe.
1) After the GPF in chapter 14 they spent a lot of time calling/skyping each other and making plans but they were still trying to work out how to do long distance until everything settled down and none of the plans were confirmed yet. But that didn’t stop Yuuri from flying out to surprise Viktor by showing up to give him a good luck kiss at the rink-side during the Russian Nationals, prove to the world/Russia that Viktor was his and he was Viktor’s and stay for Viktor’s birthday. They celebrated together in St Petersburg and Yuuri officially met all of Viktor’s rink-mates for the first time.