Tips for debating
I’ve debated in high school and have been seeing a lot of arguments stem from discussions about sensitive topics recently. So, I figured why not help others by giving tips so they can have an informative discussion.
- Be respectful - your opponent’s opinion may seem ridiculous even wrong to you but they also could believe that about your opinion. So try not to make your opponent seem dumb or inconsiderate because their views are different.
- DO NOT USE AD HOMINEM ATTACKS
- Try to use legitimate sources as much as possible when using facts.
- Listen to your opponent - their side of the debate is just as important as yours, no matter how idiotic or frustrating it may seem to you.
- Stay calm - try as much as possible to not get angry, no matter how ignorant the other person’s view may be.
- Ask questions - if you don’t understand certain aspects of your opponent’s argument then ask.
- Admit when you make a mistake - this is the hardest part of a debate, admitting when you were in the wrong.
hopefully, this will help those of you who wish to change someone’s opinion.