AU where David is Max's gaurdian angel trying to make turn a new leaf like he did when he was alive
Oooh this is cute! So there’s 2 major ways this could go: the It’s a Wonderful Life route and the Jiminy-Cricket-conscience-slash-shoulder-angel route. Personally that second one sounds more fun to me, so that’s what we’re going with:
1. Max can totally see and hear David. He really wishes he could’ve just gotten some goddamned fairy godparents or something.
2. This has absolutely no influence on Max’s belief in God or an afterlife (or lack thereof). When he asks David what’s going on with all that, David’s response is “uh … I don’t really know, either.” Deciding that David is either lying or a dumbass (spoiler: it’s the second one), Max figures there’s no point in finding or contacting any sort of deity unless it can get rid of David for him.
3. David has a variety of strategies he uses to try and influence Max’s perspectives and behavior. He gets these from a heavy cardboard textbook called Your Human & YOU: Having Fun Being a Guardian! So far it hasn’t been overwhelmingly helpful, but David has faith that something in it will speak to Max!
4. David can only be seen by Max, and while he can interact with objects, he can only do so when not being watched (by sentient beings; presumably spiders n shit don’t count). This leads to Max getting frustrated and seemingly screaming at nothing a lot. Like, a lot a lot.
5. David has saved Max’s life exactly 7 times. Max is aware of 3 of these times.