Photoset 1 from the Melbourne Museum with @captain-amaezing!
1. Cast of Inostrancevia, a Permian gorgonopsid and a relative of ours
2. A beautiful Banded Iron Formation with pyrite. My finger there for scale.
3. Phar Lap, the famous Australian racehorse.
4. A paper-mache(!!!) model of the human body. If that wasn’t labor intensive enough, it opens up to show the internal organs.
5. Neoceratodus forsteri, or the Queensland lungfish. One of the few surviving lungfish, this guy is truly a living fossil.
6. The magnificent skull of Physeter macrocephalus, or the sperm whale.
7. The skull of Janjucetus, a stem mysticete with teeth!
8. Aboriginal sculpture of my favorite marsupial, the tassie devil.
9. A quality rancho.
10. The arching skull of the pygmy blue whale, a subspecies, Balaenoptera musculus brevicauda.
(Part 1) (Part 2)