They were far out from shore now—it was a shining line in the distance, the highway a ribbon of moving lights, the houses and restaurants along the coastline glimmering. “Well, as it turns out, my parents didn’t die in the ocean.” Emma took a shuddering breath. “They didn’t drown.”
“Knowing that doesn’t wipe out years of bad dreams.” Julian glanced toward her. The wind blew soft tendrils of his hair against his cheekbones. She remembered what it felt like to have her hands in that hair, how holding him had anchored her not just to the world, but to herself.
“I hate feeling like this,” she said, and for a moment even she wasn’t sure what she was talking about. “I hate being afraid. It makes me feel weak.”
“Emma, everyone’s afraid of something.” Julian moved slightly closer. “We fear things because we value them. We fear losing people because we love them. We fear dying because we value being alive. Don’t wish you didn’t fear anything. All that would mean is that you don’t feel anything.”
“Jules—” She started to turn toward him in surprise at the intensity in his voice, but paused when she heard Cristina’s footsteps quicken, and then her voice, raised in recognition, calling:
A Reminder of Everything to Come in Lord of Shadows (5/23) : Courtesy of Shadowhunters Wikia
• As with Lady Midnight and its eponymous character, there is also a character called Lord of Shadows.
• The characters will visit London, specifically the institute. The ley lines and sacred sites of England may be discussed.
• There will be “tons of Centurions”.
• The Shadowhunters will hunt down a squid demon—a Teuthida—that has been snatching and terrorizing people going to the carnival at the pier.
• Emma is fake-dating Mark, and Cristina is aware of their deal.
• The installment will pick up where the last ended.
• A faerie arrives to tell Mark that Kieran will be executed for killing another faerie, forcing the Shadowhunters to journey to Faerie to save him.
• The rise of a company called the Cohort, a part—the worst part—of the Clave which believes that Downworlder rights should be restricted and that there should be a registry of werewolves and warlocks will be dealt with.
• They start coming down hard on the main characters, specifically Mark and their relationships with Downworlders.
• The previously-teased trans character, one that has been introduced before, will be featured.
• Ty will learn more about his nature—the fact that he is neuroatypical—and may start to explore romance.
• Jem and Tessa may or may not appear in this installment, and even if they do, they will mostly be background characters.
• Dru will make an important discovery.
• Cornwall will be visited.
• There will be some focus on Kit and Ty, Julian and Emma, Cristina and Mark, and Mark and Kieran. Cristina may “sort of” choose between Diego and Mark, while Mark will also have to make a choice.
• Cristina will have a romantic dance with an unexpected guy, and she will also dance with Mark.
• There will also be more Cristina, Dru, and Diana Wrayburn, who will have her a portion of the book told in her POV.
• Kieran and Kit will interact a bit.
• Livvy will be protective of Kit.
• A big, new aspect to the parabatai bond will be revealed.
• Jules and Emma’s parabatai bond, or the powers Jules may get from their love, may be affected when he finds out about Emma and Mark.
• Helen and Aline will make appearances. The Blackthorns’ goal of getting them out of exile will also be discussed.
• A part of the book will take place in Faerie where Kieran’s siblings will appear.
• Magnus, Clary, Jace, Alec, and Robert will make appearances.
• Magnus and Alec will be featured prominently in this installment.
• Jace and Clary will arrive at the Los Angeles Institute with a message from the Consul and will hold a meeting, for which they will request the presence of Emma and Jules.
• The reason for Clary turning down Jace’s marriage proposal will be revealed.
• Clary and Jace will eat Chinese food from Jade Wolf.
• Jessamine Lovelace will most like appear, and it is possible that Kit Herondale will see her.
• The last word will be “hour”, and the first is “Kit”.
• Mark and Helen’s faerie names will be revealed.
• Jaime Rosales will be introduced.
• The twist at the end of the book will be “brutal”, and Cassie has described the end with the word “blood”.
• Four characters who are relatively familiar to the readers will die.
• Rafael and Max will play and become friends with Tavvy in this installment.
• We will either once again see the Seelie Queen or just learn more about her in this installment.
• Marisol and Jon will be mentioned in this installment.
• Diana Wrayburn’s past will be explored.
• The terms Blackthorn Hall, Thule, The Eldest Heir, and The Riders of Mannanan will be featured in this installment.
• Gwyn ap Nudd will have a “surprisingly big role to play”.
•The book is longer than Lady Midnight, with around 700 pages.
• The book will have a special edition.