evidence that david wymack is the best character in this entire series, part i
The Foxhole Court
- “I want my subs at the wall cheering them on, but if you trip up a referee, I will cut you.”
- “Watch me beam with pride. It’s not your job to take care of yourself anymore.”
- Wymack sliced a hand across his throat and jerked his thumb over his shoulder. Neil hoped he was right in translating it as “Let’s get the hell out of here.”
- “Do you have any idea how much I hate coming home and finding you in my apartment?”
- Wymack only recruited athletes from broken homes. His decision to turn the Foxhole Court into a halfway house of sorts was nice in theory, but it meant his players were fractured isolationists who couldn’t get along long enough to get through a game.
- “Are you done wasting my oxygen yet?”
- “Kevin, wake that dingbat without getting punched in the face.”
- “You have five seconds to get your retarded psycho ass to my apartment! You even think about telling me no and I swear to god I’ll throw Kevin’s contract down the garbage disposal.”
- “Your opinion has been noted and dismissed,” Wymack said. “Anything else, or are you going to start signing stuff?”
- “I am going to drop you off at the dorm and spend the rest of the day drinking. Damage control can wait until tomorrow.”
- “Kevin, you’re out if your hand so much as itches. Don’t be stupid tonight.”
- “Coach Wymack was the only one I could think of turning to, and he didn’t disappoint me.”
- Wymack snapped his fingers in front of Andrew’s face, trying to get Andrew to look at him instead of Neil.
- “Damn it all to hell. Hemmick! You were supposed to wake them up ten miles ago.”
- “Did you think I made the team the way it is because I thought it would be a good publicity stunt? It’s about second chances, Neil. Second, third, fourth, whatever, as long as you get at least one more than anyone else wanted to give you.”
- “We saw their files,” Wymack said. “We chose you.”
- “Breaking news: I don’t care.”
- Neil wasn’t quite ready to face Andrew yet and he didn’t want to deal with this teammate’s curiosity over his prolonged absence, so he went to Wymack’s apartment instead.
- “When I said Abby and I would look out for you, I didn’t mean you should pick a fight with Riko on national television,” Wymack said. “Should I have spelled that out beforehand?”
and my personal favorite for last
- “God damn it, Minyard. This is why we can’t have nice things.”