lots of homophobia is violent, but there’s a quieter type that’s just as damaging, just as dangerous. the kind that comes from the mouths of loved ones when they say “god, not every movie needs to have gays in it” and when they say they are fine with gay ppl “despite their sin” and when they act uncomfortable when they see gay ppl. it gets inside ur head, tells u ur wrong, tells u to hate urself. it sneaks up behind you and makes you put on a mask
Here is the latest: At least five people are dead, with many more injured and up to 450,000 seeking federal aid, as a result of the hurricane which pummeled southeast Texas over the weekend. With massive damage and dangerous flooding, the people of Houston and surrounding areas need all hands on deck. Here’s how you can find help and how you can help others.
How to Get Help if You’re Affected by the Storm
If you’re in areas hit by the storm, call the US Coast Guard.
Widening #USCG communications for #Harvey rescue ops in #Houston: Call 281-464-(4851)(4852)(4853)(4854)(4855). Get on roofs. Mark locl w/SOS
The orgs below are providing crucial support to those affected. If you have money to give, check out these tips from ProPublica before donating. If you aren’t able to donate, use social media to tell others about these resources.
All Hands: A not-for-profit working to activate a network of volunteers to provide assistance on the ground.
DoSomething.org is the largest tech company exclusively for young people and social change. We’re activating 5.5 million young people (in every US area code and in 131 countries!) to make positive change both online and off.
1) Sara Lance, Legends of Tomorrow – the kickass, bisexual formerly-dead former assassin who is now a Legend and timeship captain. I LOVE HER.
2) Jason Todd, aka Red Hood, DC Comics – the black-sheep formerly-dead former Robin. He has anger management issues and a complicated relationship with the rest of the Batfamily. I can’t really put into words why I love him, but I doooo.
3) Elizabeth Weir, Stargate Atlantis – the strong leader of the expedition who has to put up with way too much, especially from one John Sheppard. Kind, lovely, and totally lives happily ever after.
4) Vax’ildan, Critical Role – I’m only 17 episodes in, but he quickly became my favorite. He’s charming and dangerous, and he hits my competency kink so hard. (I cannot find a decent pic or gif, because like I said, I’m only 17 episodes into a show that currently has 95, and I don’t want to completely spoil myself.)
5) Artemis Crock, Young Justice – the archer who is trying to do good despite her villainous family and abusive childhood. Prickly at first, snarky forever.
6) Asami Sato, Legend of Korra – the gorgeous, bisexual badass normal who fights alongside benders, kicking ass and taking names while looking flawless. She’s also sweet and kind. Who can blame Korra for falling in love with her?
7) Helena Wells, Warehouse 13 – the badass, bisexual genius who, okay, wanted to destroy the world a bit. She regrets that, though! And she remains forever awesome and way more noble than she gives herself credit for.
8) Severn Handred, The Chronicles of Elantra – the quiet, extremely dangerous former assassin (basically). Fiercely loyal to Kaylin and willing to do basically anything to protect her. I’m basically in love with him, not going to lie.
9) Sameen Shaw, Person of Interest – the badass bisexual sociopath who figures out that being a good guy is kind of rewarding. She’s hot and snarky and dangerous and I have a type, okay.
10) Rey, Star Wars – the scavenger who somehow stays optimistic and hopeful despite a hard life in the desert. She finds a stillness and strength in the Force that she never expected. Honestly my favorite Star Wars character.
I just had the thought cos I'm rewatching Supergirl and faintly swooning over Kara's biceps and I was wondering do you think Kara has a hard time finding sleeves that hide her guns because I'm having a vision of her trying on a cardigan, admiring herself in the mirror, and then she accidentally flexes and the sleeves explode and she's like o o p s
Yes cats. There is a reason you see practitioners throughout the ages paired with cats. Firstly they are good soft affectionate pets. Secondly they are quite possibly the most powerful race of beings you will likely encounter.
There are some beings so old, so ancient, that they predate things like men and magic. Beings of such age and power that they are completely immune to the arcane. Beings like Felis Domesticus, the common house cat.
House cats are a powerful eldritch sink. Scholars have pointed out that they are aware of the arcane, but consider it completely mundane like a human considering a strong wind or beautiful cloud. This goes beyond simple things like spellwork. Cats are completely unburdened by thing like birth and death. Most house cats barely even notice that they die, and continue going about their normal cat business from beyond the veil. They have also been known to tire of this, and manifest completely new bodies through manipulation of a force unknown to modern practitioners.
This, incidentally, makes them the ideal companion for a practitioner. Cats cannot be damaged by dangerous spells, pass completely through volatile wards, and are incapable of interrupting delicate ritual magics (aside from physically batting candles over and things like that).
You never know how old a cat might be. The oldest ones know things. Good luck getting them to tell you though.
Holy hell! There’s 1000 of you now!! Thanks so much for sticking around during my shenanigans. Please enjoy this list of some of my favourite fics found on tumblr. (Warning: There may be some triggering angst, please refer to the fics for more detailed warnings). You can find more in my ‘fics I love’ or ‘fics I like’ tag! This isn’t exclusionary in anyway, it’s just a few of the fics I adore.
Most of these are 18+, sorry youngins.
At A Cellular Level (Virgin!Steve): Alex was created as a weapon by AIM. She can control things down to the Cellular level. Altering them so they can be something else. SHIELD rescue her but thanks to years of torture she is damaged and dangerous. Can Steve Rogers get through to her? (@emilyevanston)
Caring Company: You’re sexually frustrated and can’t sleep. Most nights like these, your best friend Steve Rogers keeps you company- it’s always just been platonic and friendly until one night he finally makes a move. (@marvelfic)
Misdialed Call: After an overall bad day, you call your best friend to rant and to vent. But when you accidentally misdial, you end up talking to a complete stranger. What you don’t know is that this stranger may not be a stranger at all. He may even be the world’s first superhero. (Drabble Series)(@avengersandchill)
Heart On The Line(AU): You and Bucky had your differences in college, but now you need a place to stay and he needs a roommate, and in order to make ends meet, you two start a phone sex line together. (@sugardaddytonystark )
Incubus (AU): A mysterious man comes to your rescue when you attract some unwanted attention at a club. It just so happens that he’s a sex demon…(@after-avenging-hours )
Rotten Judgement (AU): Hercules!AU After selling your soul to save your lover’s life, you become one of the Lord of the Underworld’s slave. Bucky is obsessed with one thing: collecting hearts. But why? (@redgillan )
The Friendly Wager(AU): Reader and Bucky Barnes are neighbors and best friends. After yet another bad date, reader comes home to find Bucky with his typical weekend target. They decide to make a wager about dating, but is there more on the line than reader cares to admit? (@just-some-drabbles )
A Lesson In Love (AU): (College!AU) In which you’re assigned to write a story about romance, a subject you know nothing about, and Bucky, a hopeless romantic, offers you his assistance. (@buckyywiththegoodhair )
Love Always Wakes The Dragon: It could be worse. You do have all the luxuries befitting a princess, though one charged with treason. But a gilded cage is still a cage. And the prospect of withering away in this, the tallest tower of the Palace of Asgard, in the same place where your once-betrothed will live and marry and rule from, it’s almost too much to bear. (@sugardaddytonystark )
Terms & Conditions: On a long mission with Clint that has the two of you sharing a small hotel room overseas you make a ‘no strings attached’ agreement to pass the time, but when you see each other for the first time since returning to New York, you’re not sure you can forget him as easily as you had hoped. (@marvelfic)
Terfs are just the extremists, man. Transmisogyny is everywhere and you need to target it everywhere.
If you only shout about westboro bapists picketing gay people’s funerals and a christian dad shooting his trans gay daughter but don’t do anything about the people who joke about putting LGBT people into graves and egg on bullies who do incredible damage to LGBT youth, how much good are you really doing?
If you only cared about antisemitism and racism when the neo nazis fucked up charlottesville, how useful are your efforts really?
Haven’t said a thing about rape jokes said by your guy friends but were super pissed about Brock The Rapist Turner? Way to fall short of fixing the root problems!
Extremists had to come from somewhere originally! And the subtle stuff is still damaging and dangerous. Work on yourself and your friends and your community, not just the chaotic evil outliers. Ultimately defeating subtle shit will weed out of the extremists too. Don’t leave fertile soil for monsters in yourself and your community.
Favorite actress series | Glenn Close: [On being a actor] “I think it is a great privilege, to be an actor. I think our job is to make people believe. Everyone wants to believe something. And besides helping people believe, I think we can remind people what it means to be a human being; how connected we are, how we need love, how hate is destructive. That to me is a privilege.” - Glenn Close