A 31-year-old man’s been arrested after what’s believed to have been a domestic dispute sparked an Armed Offenders Squad call out in West Auckland.
Police were called to Meadowvale Rise in Titirangi, and requested AOS back up after concerns that firearms may have been involved.
Police say a man refused to come out of the house, prompting police to throw several canisters of tear gas.
The man then came outside, with no shots being fired.
Thailand’s junta Tuesday insisted the crucial tourist industry has been unaffected by last week’s bomb attack which killed 20 people, mostly foreigners, saying visitor numbers remained “at a normal level”.
The bombing at the Bangkok’s Erawan shrine was Thailand’s worst single mass-casualty attack.
But the trail is growing increasingly cold as police scramble to locate a prime suspect captured on CCTV leaving a bag moments before the blast.
The majority of those killed were ethnic Chinese worshippers from across Asia, who flocked to the shrine in large numbers despite it being devoted to the Hindu god Brahma in the belief that prayers there bring good fortune.
The attack, the first of its kind to kill large numbers of visitors to Thailand, has damaged its reputation as a welcoming and safe travel destination
But the military government has been at pains to play down any suggestion visitors might be put off from visiting.
“The number of tourists in prominent tourist attractions both in Bangkok and other provinces is still high,” Colonel Winthai Suvaree, a spokesman for the junta, said Tuesday in a daily broadcast, without giving any numbers.
“The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has further reported that the statistics of foreign tourists travelling into Thailand is at the normal level,” he added.
Authorities have yet to make an arrest or say which group was behind the blast. But they have repeatedly said it was carried out by a network and aimed at damaging the tourism industry.
However, they have also been adamant that Chinese tourists – who visit Thailand in larger numbers than any other nationality – were not singled out.
“We are sure the target is not only Chinese,” national police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri told reporters late Monday without elaborating.
Nonetheless, tour operators and hotels that cater to the Chinese have told AFP that some were cancelling trips.
However analysts say it is too soon to know whether tourism has taken a hit.
Tourism accounts for about 10 percent of Thailand’s economy and had until recently been one of its few bright spots amid flagging exports and low consumer confidence.
Former Chelsea player Malouda joins Carlos at Delhi Dynamos
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Former Chelsea winger Florent Malouda will join Brazilian Roberto Carlos at the Delhi Dynamos for the second season of the Indian Super League, the club announced on Sunday.
The 35-year-old former France international last played for Metz.
“I am extremely excited for my new innings and to join forces with Roberto Carlos,” the former Lyon player said in a club statement.
“India has great football talent and a league like ISL will bring certain amount of interest and will help develop Indian football.
"I look forward to give my best to the league and make the Delhi fans proud.”
The second season of the eight-team league begins on Oct. 3.
“Malouda is a classic player and brings with him years of world class experience,” Carlos, Delhi’s marquee player-manager said.
“I am sure both the Indian and international players will learn a lot from him. His presence will not only strengthen the team but will also create high excitement levels among the ISL fans,” added the former Real Madrid defender.
The ISL got off to a rousing start last year with Brazilian Zico headlining the managers’ list and its marquee players including Italian duo Alessandro Del Piero and Marco Materazzi, and Frenchman Nicholas Anelka.
(Reporting by Amlan Chakraborty, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
UE se preocupa com tensão na península da Coreia e pede que evitem provocaçõe
Bruxelas, 21 ago (EFE).- A União Europeia (UE) expressou nesta sexta-feira sua preocupação com “o aumento das tensões na fronteira” entre a Coreia do Sul e a Coreia do Norte, e pediu que “evitem provocações” na península coreana.
“Estamos monitorando a situação e estamos em estreito contato com nossos parceiros, incluído o governo sul-coreano”, através da delegação da UE em Seul e da embaixada da Coreia do Sul em Bruxelas, disse um porta-voz do Serviço de Ação Exterior e Política de Segurança da UE.
A Coreia do Norte ameaçou hoje tomar mais ações bélicas e deu um ultimato a Coreia do Sul após a troca de fogo de artilharia entre os dois países, enquanto Seul elevou o alerta ao máximo e prometeu responder com dureza novos ataques.
O líder norte-coreano, Kim Jong-un, ordenou a suas tropas da primeira linha da fronteira que se preparem para o combate.
O Exército da Coreia do Sul, por sua vez, disse que responderá “com força” a qualquer tipo de ataque norte-coreano e advertiu a Coreia do Norte que “assumirá toda a responsabilidade” derivada de uma nova agressão ao Sul. EFE