THE DARK’S TREASURED GLOW - WIP Introduction
—> GENRE: YA Science Fiction
—> POV: Third person limited (I’m not set on this yet, though~)
—> STATUS: Vague idea stages; outlining
—> SETTING: An alien world initially believed to be uninhabited due to the permanent cloud layer preventing any light from reaching the planet’s surface. A human community was built to float above the clouds, powered through a plant integrated technology dependent on solar energy. Although unique flora and fauna have been discovered adapted to the darkness beneath, and some have been domesticated to aid the humans, the lands below are thought to be barren, with human influence said to be inconsequential to any possible ecosystem development.
—> FEATURES: LGBTQ+ and diverse cast; non-binary main character; FLUFFY MOTH DRAGONS and other cool alien things; photosynthetic technology; flora/fauna adaptation; mind control; perpetual darkness; found family; government corruption; reliance on light; environmental destruction and conservation; alien world colonization; exploration.
And this? This is what happens when you decide you’re going to write a book about environmental science and the issues in a human’s interaction with the natural world. On another world.
This wip is in it’s very initial stages of planning, but here’s some of what I have now:
- The main character is a teenage enby who trained alongside their brother to be in a tactical explorer program: those who are chosen of the completed achieve the honour of exploring the lands below the clouds, and searching for mineral deposits and other important resources.
- They lost their sight partway through their training, disqualifying them from the program.
- Their brother went missing on his first mission. In fact, his entire team did.
- Fast forward a few years, they’re now working in their friend’s company as a mechanic.
- They get into trouble a lot, though, and on one of their escapes, they end up accidentally deactivating the headset on a dragon used to transport supplies.
- Turns out this headset was actually being used to basically mind control these basically sapient creatures.
- New friend! Oh wait, it’s trying to kill them. Nevermind.
- Anddddd now both of them have fallen below the clouds. And it seems it’s not quite as barren as the government wanted you to think…
Anyways, I’m unlikely to be sharing any actual writing any time soon aside from concepts and possibly some sketches, but if you’d like to be added to the taglist, let me know!