'callout culture' is a blight on social justice
1) It creates a culture of fear and intimidation and discourages people from participating in social justice out of fear of mistakes
2) It is not about holding people accountable and stopping harassment, just about preening with a bunch of self-congratulatory posts about how the person/thing is bad and how they are inferior to you
3) It’s often a giant game of telephone where tons of misinformation about the person/thing you’re calling out is spread
4) It invites minute character dissections/judgments of strangers based on superficial interests, often harmless opinions, and ignorant mistakes, and turns simple social media interactions into a perpetual trial by jury, which can be particularly damaging if you’re young or have little positive socialization outside social media
5) IT DISCOURAGES DISCUSSION and the healthy and civil sharing of ideas and opinions!
If you want someone to learn from their mistakes, you must be able to forgive them for their mistakes. Harassment and the spreading of ‘receipts’ on people only breeds fear and resentment. Healthy discussions come from being patient and kind with people and not treating their every mistake like an irredeemable character flaw.