I kinda need to make this list for myself and I thought I would make it here. Just to be as clear as possible, DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT, charge them this way as it will damage your crystal and depending on what kind it is, it can be harmful for you as well. This list will not be alphabetized because I’m a little disorderly (lmao).
Turquoise- Water, Salt, Sunlight
Rose Quartz- Sunlight
Smoky Quartz- Sunlight
Kunzite- Sunlight, Salt
Sulfates (Borates, Calcite, Gypsum)- Water
Lapis Lazuli- Water
Malachite- WATER (toxic), Salt
Pyrite- Water, High Humidity
Calcite: Vinegar/acetone, Salt
Amber- Acetone, Salt
Cinnabar- HEAT (poisonous gas)
Realgar- HEAT (poisonous gas)
Stibnite- HEAT (poisonous gas)
Imperial Topaz- Salt
Fire opal- Salt
Red coral- Salt
Selenite- Salt, Water
Apatite- Vinegar/acetone, Water
This post a little spinoff from my “Explaining Crystal Healing” post, and describes how energy is directed throughout a stone based on the different, both cut and raw, shapes of gemstones. Enjoy ♡
Natural Point(s)⌇Best used when energy is meant to be concentrated and pointed in a specific direction. If a stone has more than one point, the energy will also tend to be directed in those multiple directions. Larger points make wonderful wands!
Grounded Point/Obelisk⌇Stronger version of the (natural) pointed stone, as the bottom of an obilisk-shaped crystal is flat, and allowing for a more grounded directional energy. Because these are meant to be placed standing and pointing upwards, they are best used when energy is needed to be pointed up from a flat surface.
Double-Terminated⌇Think of these cuts as having two poles, like the earth, moving energy in a elongated sphere around the crystal. Energy is taken in by each point and added to the ‘bubble’ of energy the crystal can work with.
Tumbled⌇Crystals and stones that have been tumbled (yet not quite into a perfect sphere) will have energy that softly emits in all directions, sometimes directionally varied if the stone is a little more abstractly shaped.
Natural/Raw⌇Energy flow with naturally shaped and formed stones, while being stronger than man-made stones, tends to be more sporadic than smoother or more even stones (unless, of course, the stone forms naturally with a smooth texture). Energy flow depends on the shape and texture of each mineral - Rough, cubed, pointed, etc.
Faceted/Multiple-Faced⌇Energy in and around faceted gemstones, such as those commonly used in jewelry, will be given off similarly to how a mirror or glass pane reflects/directs light; In this example, think of each face of the stone as glass, and energy as the light. This method of energy flow also applies to multiple-faced, non-pointed stones, such as some varieties of raw minerals that grow with cubed or edged faces.
Spherical⌇Crystal balls and spheres will give off energy in an evenly distributed way, as you expect a perfect sphere would. Spherical gemstones that are translucent and able to focus light (similarly to how a magnifying class can focus sunlight) can also direct energy in one direction if used in certain ways.
“Palm” Stone⌇Palm stones are similar to spherical stones in that they emit energy in a constant way, though these stones are more grounded. Because of their grounded nature and palm-like shape, these types of stones are ideal for emotional healing, grounding, or stress.
Worry Stone⌇Worry stones are created to, just as the name suggests, decrease or eliminate worry! These are made to work a bit differently than others; the piezoelectric energy of the stone is made to be given off as a trigger to physical touching or rubbing one’s thumb on the slightly concaved area of the stone. Besides metaphysical healing purposes, these are also made to give a person something do fiddle with in their hands to take the mind off worry.
Things I wish someone would’ve told me before I started working with crystals
1. There is no one correct way to use crystals. You could use them to help you meditate. You can use them to bring a specific type of energy into your space or your body or your spirit. You can use them in place of something on an altar (for example, my apartment doesn’t let me use candles so I use pyrite to represent fire when I work). You could carry them around with you to attract something. You can use them however you see fit.
2. You may connect with one type of crystal and not at all with another type. You will hear a lot of people tell you that “____ is a great crystal for beginners because everyone can work with this” and that’s BS. You may not feel connected to a certain type of crystal AT ALL. AND THAT’S OK! Personal example, I had read somewhere that a good crystal for students was fluorite, so I went out and got a fluorite. I didn’t connect with fluorite whatsoever. It didn’t sync up with me, and so I hardly ever use it. On the other hand, the first time I ever picked up a smoky quartz I just KNEW it was for me. I deeply resonate with smoky quartz still to this day.
3. You may connect with one SPECIFIC crystal, and not at all with a different crystal of the same kind. And, again, that’s ok. Certain crystals will just call out to you more than others.
4. Certain crystals will want to be used for certain purposes. I have a crystal that is specifically used for headaches. I tried using it for other things and it just felt weird. The only purpose I felt at ease using that crystal was for headaches. Your intuition will help you with figuring out how crystals want to be used.
5. If you can’t feel crystal energies from the get-go, that’s ok. Keep working at it and don’t give up. It comes more naturally to some. I was one of those people who didn’t really feel it much to begin with, except for smoky quartz. I had to train myself to do so, and once you get into that state where you can feel the energies, it will be so exciting. When you feel it, you’ll know.
If anyone wants to add to this, feel free to do so! This is based off of personal experience, so if anyone has had different experiences and wants to add those too, have at it!