Chemical formula: Pb5(VO4)3Cl (Lead chloro-vanadate)
Color: Commonly bright red, reddish-orange, orange, yellow, grey, brown.
Hardness: SOFT (2.5-3)
Crystal system: Hexagonal
Health risks: Contains lead, do not ingest and wash hands after handling.
- The color and shape of the crystals are unique and stunning!
- Always grows in hexagons. Commonly they are plates, sometimes they grow in thicker hexagonal barrels.
- Vanadinite likes to grow in dense clusters. Most specimens will contain dozens of crystals even on a small matrix!
- Specimens can sometimes darken after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Do not display in direct sunlight!
- Clean with warm soapy water (mild soap) and then rinse with distilled water to prevent water spots. Air dry.
- Locality of this piece: Mibladen, Morocco. The world’s BEST locality for blood- red vanadinite!
Price range: Vanadinite, especially red crystals with great shape and color, are highly sought after by most collectors and can be quite expensive. Thumbnail specimens (aptly named because they are about the size of your thumbnail) can range from $30-80 depending on quality. Larger cabinet specimens can cost much more and can easily climb past $100!
Written By, cc-da-wolf