Recent su/bomb spoilers
• Cool kids being cool
• Sadie getting friends outside of Lars
• No automatic usage of Stevonnie
• Doug is a sweetie pie who wants to be admirable in his daughter’s eyes and be more like his wife. Bless~
• Good build up to Lars’ disappearance (since it’s so seemingly something in character for him to do but it had seemed like he’d finally broken out of his jerk shell; it makes it more insidious that he goes missing before he could)
• Aqua is a fun jerk of a villain that’ll be at least fun to hate
• Navy wasn’t the one who made the report!
• It was Steven. A good use of his positive character traits being turned against him, I must say
• The backgrounds are noticeably worse, like even more so
• The pacing is off ( the rest of the abductions don’t pack the same punch as Lars’, Steven’s /twice/ used sacrifices*, when you have a character like Aqua with that type of power fight scenes need to at least be exciting so that it feels like a tease for an even cooler one coming)
• The fight scenes weren’t that exciting because stopping /any/ type** of scene with info dumps is too jarring and
• The fight choreography continues to be meh.
• It seems to be official that Garnet is no longer the leader of the cg, not only because of the “let’s split up gang” scene (which was her idea anyway) but every decision Steven makes isn’t adamantly responded to (just a “Steven are you sure?” rather than a straight up No.) until the last one.
• What’s there to say about Topaz? They’re a ~mysterious~ and quiet fusion (most of the time) were have we heard that before?
•*Steven giving himself up to the diamonds might have been a good cliffhanger… if they hadn’t done it twice. (Technically thrice in this whole season)
•**Steven still struggling with his identity and poor decisions isn’t a bad thing and him shutting down during battle actually isn’t what bugs me. It’s that for all this show being good at quiet scenes, the writers refuse to do so with Steven’s thoughts. Imagine if Steven suddenly goes silent, frozen like Lars (an interesting dichotomy) or if we as the audience could hear his thoughts but other characters can’t. His outburst at the end would be more impactful because then the characters would know for the first time that Steven (still) has these issues. Not just by some gibberish during battle.
All and all a meh bomb: we’re finally getting somewhere in the plot but poor pacing has really affected everything else and the only characters who received any real development were Lars and Sadie