First I supposedly don’t want women to have welfare resources. Now the people who don’t want abortions are “wasting” welfare money?
Things I’ve done working at a maternity home:
- Given low-income women rides to parenting classes, work, the grocery store, etc.
- Helped them with homework
- Hooked them up with local resources to which they have a right
- Administered vitamins and medication
- Had some real talk about identity and healthy relationships
- Encouraged abuse counseling and drug rehabilitation
- Helped someone get her belongings and medical supplies out of her abuser’s home because the police couldn’t go in
- Taught some of them basic self-care skills
- Sat around chatting and enjoying each other’s company
Things I have never had to do at the maternity home:
- Talk someone out of an abortion