- In an exclusive interview with the New York Daily News on Sunday, James Harris Jackson, 28, said he wished he’d murdered “a young thug” or a “successful older black man” instead of 66-year-old Timothy Caughman.
- Jackson allegedly stabbed Caughman to death with an 18-inch blade on March 20.
- “I didn’t know he was elderly,” Jackson, who reportedly chose his victim at random, said. He added that he would have preferred killing “a young thug” or “a successful older black man with blonds … people you see in Midtown. These younger guys that put white girls on the wrong path.”
- Jackson traveled by bus from his home in Baltimore to New York City on March 17 with the intention of killing black men in order to deter white women from having interracial relationships with them, per reports.
- Police later said that Jackson intended March 20 to be “practice” for a larger attack against black men in Times Square, though the suspect turned himself in to the authorities voluntarily two days later. Read more (3/27/17 12:30 PM)