What traits to you suggest to put in a dystopian / thriller protagonist?
Good question darling, I’ll do you a list. Also, I’ll probably be adding to this when I have an idea in the future. I want to start by saying- you can have your own swing on this and people have different opinions, so if your ideas aren’t on here, feel free to add them in the replies! What would you recommend to someone writing a dystopian-thriller protagonist character? Here we have some ideas of character traits for a Dystopian-Thriller Protagonist:
- The tiniest sliver of hope- Dystopian characters only really stick around if there is something/someone worth sticking around for, keep it in mind!
- Confusion- What have they been hidden/protected from? What are they in the dark about?
- Determination- I think that one is quite self-explanatory.
- Moral support- This isn’t really coming from the protagonist, but the supporting characters.
- Remember that your protagonist will have down days, like any normal person, make sure you include that!
- Hidden/dark past? It’s not compulsory, but the majority of dystopian stories I’ve read have at least one character with a dark past.
- Despair- (On the bad days).
- Hidden emotions- I think this one is something we sometimes miss out on for all characters, but try to think about whether they have a contrasting side to their usual self. Not just “The angry guy has a soft side”, but maybe think more in-depth. Think about how this angry dude reacts when he finds a scrawny 4 year old hidden beneath rubble and adopts her. Alternatively you could have a really shy, innocent looking girl who seems to be the kinkiest person on the planet… It all depends on your novels!
- Emotional- This sort of links in with the last one and, yes, all characters are emotional, but dystopian/thriller characters have seen a lot. In most dystopian stories that I’ve read, the protagonist and/or supporting characters have seen some rather awful things. As much as they may pretend they’re okay, they’re going to be emotional characters!
Honestly, this changes for all characters, but these are some key ones that I’ve noticed in books and they have proved to be successful! Anyway, I hope it helped a little, good luck and feel free to message me if I didn’t get what you meant, lot of love from Yasmine xox