For this next set I am going to focus on making animations of physics concepts – today: wavelength dependent index of refraction… a.k.a dispersion!
My background is rooted in math and physics and I also work as a math/physics tutor, so I’ve often though about animated examples in textbooks etc. Beyond animations of concepts, having interactive examples would be really helpful for students trying to learn and understand the concept.
While this is only a GIF, another piece of this project will be to get up and running in p5.js to create and post interactive sketches. I tried to port this one into processing.js quickly but, surprise, it didn’t like it. Rather than spending a ridiculous amount of time troubleshooting that, I am going to push forward with p5.js. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to post them on Tumblr, but if I can’t, I’ll host them somewhere else and provide links.
Made it to 100. This is a nice place to reflect back on the stuff I’ve been working on and look forward at the next 100 days.
I’ve been pondering a bit of a change in focus for this project. I really like the personal requirement to make something everyday, to sit down in front of a blank screen and force myself to come up with something. But, I also want to focus on projects that will take more than a day to complete. I may try a few short, week-long projects in which I post daily updates on process and progress. This would be a little less of a visual blog, but would hopefully lead to more evolved products. It would also allow me to bring in things like Arduino, Leap motion, kinect, etc, and start focusing on creative technology in addition to digital art and programming.
Day 136 (5/16/14): And finally we get to see the end result of this 2 week process! Its been a blast to work and and i gained a ton of valuable experience. Just stoked to watch some insane climbers throw down on this thing over the weekend!
A little sketch to look at sound waves from a moving source and the Doppler effect. I’d love to extend this and have a movable ‘Listener’ and emit frequencies based on the wavelengths the listener experiences.
Interactive Processing sketch below. Click through to play with the sketch.
Day 47 (2/16/14): I’ve been meaning to update this image for a while now. I drew the first one while I was on my Alaska cruise last summer. After drawing “missed” a couple days ago I’ve been fiddling with arrow designs in my head and settled on a few I like. Guess I just got it tattooed now like I said I would.
A member of the Dark Angels Veterans Squad from Warhammer 40k. I used gold and silver rather than bone and white colors. It is not the proper uniform but I’d like to think they’re the squad that Lord Guan Yu would hire every now and then for “special missions”. It’s a bad crossover, but I’m thinking of Oriental Adventures from AD&D. . #Day8 of #Creative365 / #Project365
I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus from posting stuff on Tumblr… It’s been a combination of being busy finding a studio space and getting it setup, as well as working on other projects. I’m sticking with my goal of creating everyday, but I’m focusing on larger projects that don’t always lead to a nice, easily displayed output. So, I’ll be posting stuff here periodically
Lately I’ve been fleshing out a few ideas that came up during the first 100 days of #create365, working on getting my website in order, and tinkering a lot with Arduino. More to come soon!