I have this friend/acquaintance of less than a year who is Hispanic like me and doesn't believe in Black lives matter. She is an "all lives matter" person. Her argument is, why do black people have to exclude themselves? Native americans, muslims, and Hispanics are also discriminated against. My question is, do you think I should continue to talk some sense to her or should I just stop talking to her and being her friend altogether? I would really value your input.
Well, you are not responsible for your friend’s willful ignorance. And yes, it is willful. But if you want to help a sista out, I assume she can read and use google. That’s literally all it takes–0.65 fucking seconds.
What is it about BLM that offends people? Should marginalized people make no efforts to strive towards equality and fairness?? Historically, it’s effective to have groups that target civil rights protections of specific groups in addition to groups that broadly address everyone’s civil rights. The more, the merrier.
For example, targeted representation, in no particular order:
- League of United Latin American Citizens?
National Council of La Raza? Hispanic lives matter.
- Asian American Justice Center? Asian American Institute? Asian lives matter.
- Anti-Defamation League? American Jewish Committee? Jewish lives matter.
- American Arab Anti Discrimination Committee? Council on American Islamic Relations? Muslim lives matters.
- American Indian Movement? Native American Rights Fund? Indigenous lives matter.
- National Organization for Women? League of Women Voters? Women’s lives matter.
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)? Human Rights Campaign? Queer lives matter.
- Children’s Defense Fund? Children’s Advocacy Center? Kid’s lives matter.
- International Organization for Migration? National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights? Immigrant lives matter.
American Disabled for Attendant Programs Today (ADAPT)?
American Association of People with Disabilities? Disabled lives matter.
It needs to be understood that like Black Lives Matter, none of these groups is about exclusion. They’re about all of these marginalized groups right to INCLUSION, PROTECTION and EQUALITY. None would exist if the white male supremacy of the establishment hadn’t taken very deliberate actions across history to block our civil rights.
Does your friend know literally anything about history? How about current events? Does she care to understand, contextualize and THEN form an EDUCATED opinion?
Examples of what these groups have fought/are fighting against:
And to reiterate:
Also, friendly reminder: