You gon’ need;
- CRAYOLA crayon/s (very important, other brands can contain lead, which is not so great)
- Double Boiling apparatus - this consists of a metal bowl, and a saucepan. Make sure the bowl can sit over the top of the saucepan and not fall in. You could use a Pyrex* dish instead of the metal bowl, but make sure the saucepan’s shallow enough that you can pick it up out of the bottom.
- Container - you need something to put it in, duh - have something that won’t melt or disfigure if it gets too hot, and something that’s relatively small, or it won’t look like you’ve made much at all.
- A working fridge - to put the container in. Or some other way of keeping it cold, so that it doesn’t go all melty.
- 1-4 drops essential oil/s - MUST BE FOOD GRADE or labelled similarly. Optional; they just make this shit smell nice and non-crayoney. (e.g vanilla extract, lavender oil, etc.)
- ½ tsp coconut oil (or shea butter) - make sure it’s good quality.
- ½ tsp olive oil - make sure it’s good quality.
- Disposable stirring apparatus - just so you don’t wreck any good shit. Could be a disposable chopstick, or a plastic spoon. Or you could have a wooden spoon or something that you only use for doing this; make sure to clean it afterward though, so you don’t get unwanted colour mixes.
- An oven mitt - so you don’t burn your hand when you pick the bowl up at the end. Safety first. ((I need this advice, because I’m stupid, so I put it here just in case there are other people like me. You never know.))
- Read all of this through twice before you try it. Just to make sure.
- Pick your colour; you can use a colour wheel to help, they’re really easy to find on google images. Don’t freak out about completely matching colours and shit, just find something that’s basically what you want. You can’t be too specific with this, so my recommendation would be to not try.
- Set up the double boiler; fill the saucepan with water and start it boiling. You’ll need the bowl, which can be put on later; it’s easier to do this first so that the water’s ready by the time you’ve finished fucking around with everything else.
- Break up ONE (1) crayon’s worth of crayon/s (wow, that sounds really dumb, but I can’t find other words) - the one I read said it was important not to put more in - and put it in the bowl.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the coconut oil.
- Add the essential oil.
- Rest the bowl on the rim of the saucepan (or, if you’re using a Pyrex dish, place it in the water), double boiler style.
- Stir the mixture until it’s smooth like tumblr’s wingmen.
- Using the oven mitt, pick up the bowl/Pyrex and pour the colourfulness into the container.
- Stick that shit in the fridge for a few minutes for it to harden.
- BAM. You are fabulous.
*Pyrex is a brand of glass that can withstand higher and lower temperatures that other glass. It’s usually really easy to find, and clearly labelled, but can be a bit expensive.
Just some pictures of what I used, if they help :)
Also, if you wanna take this shit to conventions (I haven’t tried this yet - planning on it for Goldnova, though - so I therefore claim no responsibility for it going wrong) you could take a freezer pack in a plastic bag with the lipstick to keep it solid.
EDIT: Yeah, I took it; it was fine! Kinda forgot the freezer thing, but it didn’t matter, it stayed solid all day. The most un-solid it got was soft, but that just made it easier to apply. It seems that it’ll only melt again if it gets SUPER hot, so don’t be worried about it. Hope this helps :D