Today I tried something new! I was looking for ideas to use our Jalapeños, which looks gorgeous and ready to be included in some great new recipes!
I had an idea: make jalapeño corn muffins, but the recipe I had was not diet friendly, so I changed a few ingredients, making a gluten
I have been making this cornbread recipe since about 1999. It came from the back of a bag of stone-ground corn meal. The brand is unimportant but you must always use stone-ground corn meal without baking powder, baking soda, nor salt. The good stuff has no sodium; the bad stuff has a lot. And please, no corn bread mixes in the little boxes and pouches!
A cast-iron skillet makes excellent corn bread with a crusty exterior and a tender interior. But my grandmother made the best corn bread in huge metal pans like you’d bake lasagna in.
From the back of a bag of Indian Head Yellow Corn Meal
Makes 8 wedges in a skillet, 9 squares in a 9-inch pan, or 12 muffins
1 c. stone-ground corn meal
1 c. sifted flour (I use ¾ c. AP and ¼ c. white whole wheat.)
¼ c. sugar (I use 1/8 c. real ad 1/8 c. Splenda.)
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
¼ c. soft shortening
1 c. milk (Usually I use low-fat moo juice, but I have also used unsweetened almond and soy milks.)
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. (I put 1 T. of butter in a cold skillet, which I put in the preheating oven while I mix up the batter. If I use a baking dish, I spray it with cooking spray.)
2. Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening.
3. Mix milk and egg together and add to the dry ingredients with a few swift strokes. Pour into a greased skillet or a greased 9x9x2-inch pan.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. For muffins. fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 20 minutes at 425. Makes 12 muffins.
Sunday is a fun day for me in the kitchen, it’s my day to be creative and come up with a new spin on an old recipes…changing some of the ingredient and the method of preparing a dish and testing your self’s confidence that you will produce delouses and unique dish it is so satisfying! I made these corn bread muffins for the fact I had a box of cornmeal staring me in the face for the longest…